Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
andrew_holmes
Community Member

100% Agree!  There are times where students have limited internet access at home, or their IEP (Individualized Education Plan through Special Education) that require them to have extended time, manipulatives, tactile, writing surfaces, etc... all which can be accomplished with printed versions of the same test that everyone else in class has access to.  

I would just like it if I could save them either as a downloadable PDF or Printable Version!  It would make some of my accommodations, modifications (or test makeups from previous grading terms) much, much easier! 

cdunn4
Community Explorer

Printing a quiz would be a huge benefit to LD students or those challenged with access to the internet or technology.

madeline_gorley
Community Explorer

Totally agree!!!!

crystal_burnett
Community Member

Our teachers request this function often. Would love to see it happen. 

stephanie_estes
Community Explorer

Seems like this improvement in accessibility would be hard to ignore.....

TIMOTHYJORDAN
Community Novice

Is there a way Canvas can include "print quiz" under the "New Quiz" option selection?  It is available under classic quizzes.

MatthewJames
Community Novice

I have a few students who are not allowed or do not have access to the Internet at home.  It is extremely tedious to print out each assessment / assignment page from the Canvas assessment creator.  If there was a way to export a .pdf file of each assessment / assignment that would be a game-changer.

anr1656
Community Member

As a math teacher, I find it essential for students to complete the work on paper before choosing an answer on the computer.  The transmission from screen to paper, back to screen is too much. To be able to have them complete their work on paper and then transfer is a must for us.  Right now we are screen shotting questionsand making a Google Doc... we shouldn't have to take those steps.

schachernp
Community Contributor

We are in need of this same functionality!  I've been researching to find a way to help our teachers print New Quizzes.  We use Respondus 4 to print Classic Quizzes and that works fine.  It does not work for teachers that build New Quizzes since we can not export a New Quiz!  Please help!  Thank you! 

DBaylor1
Community Novice

Support this change as necessary for students with accomodations.