Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
Sterrett
Community Member

This needs to happen

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Canvas needs to have a easy way to print Quizzes for handouts and students who do not have internet access.   

Season_Taylor
Community Member

As I understand Canvas is to be used solely online, for those of us in secondary education we have inclusion classrooms where we must have paper copies of materials in order to comply with IEP accommodations. Also, in order to maintain equity inside the classroom between our inclusion/non-inclusion students, we need to provide the same test and format of the test. Simply taking screenshots is unacceptable for this reason. Simply making it able to have the print feature as legacy quizzes do would be helpful, or the ability to export as a PDF file would be helpful as well. We need to continue to move forward and progress with our online tools, however, Canvas is forgetting that they need to provide equitable formats in order to comply with any state or local regulations, specifically pertaining to the implementation of IEP accommodations. I love Canvas, but this is a major obstacle for using new quizzes and upholding an equitable classroom.

GregoryBeall
Community Member

I don't know how this wasn't done from the beginning.  Many students have accommodations that require paper.  Not sure why this even needs to be vote on.

eddie_bonetdiaz
Community Explorer

How is this not a thing yet?!

JohnSch
Community Member

Definitely a needed feature! Just the other day i ended up taking a series of screenshots of my quiz and pasting them into a word document in order to print out the quiz for students in order to give them time to work on drafting extended question answers away from their devices.

dgibbs3
Community Member

This is very much needed. Especially now since we are so dependent on the internet and electricity. Recently our entire district lost internet for the last 2 periods of the day. If I had the ability to print off quizzes I could have had the quiz as a paper back-up. Then I would have just had to make copies of that quiz and they kids would have been able to complete their work for the day. Plus, I do sometimes need to have this option for accomodations for a few students.

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello. The somewhat new PM for Quizzes here. I wanted to let you know that printing quizzes is a priority for us this year. https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Canvas-tl-dr/Quizzes-Planned-Priorities-and-Roadmap-2021/bc-p...

I recognize that this isn't a nice to have feature improvement, but critical functionality. I understand this is an impediment to your student's success. As @Season_Taylor put it, we need to maintain equity for all students. 

I'm seeing the print needs broken into a few categories:

• Print for students to take the quiz on paper
  • Print for teachers with answers 
  • Print for administrators /teachers with student answers (student review and/or paper archival retention)

In the coming weeks, I'll be exploring expectations around how the various question item types should print. I'll be looking for feedback in the Quizzes User Group area, if you are interested in helping with direction. 

Thanks!

wagnerpj63
Community Explorer

Need this for new quizzes and classic/legacy.  Both are still being used.  New quizzes is top priority, IMO, since there are work-arounds for classic.

ksigurdson
Community Member

I believe I may have found a temporary solution to printing tests from Canvas, however, there are some setting issues in order to print it. 

SET UP:

1. Works in classic, but I am not certain if it works in the new quizzes. 

2. The questions can not be pulled from a question bank. 

3. Make sure "one question at a time" is unchecked in your settings. 

ksigurdson_0-1621962817994.png

4. It will not work for any matching questions. It will work for multiple choice questions. 

Steps to Print:

1. After  creating your test, click the "preview" button. 

2. When the test opens up, use the Windows shortcut keys, Ctrl P, to open the print dialog box. 

3. Select the printer you want or save your preview as a .pdf and select print. 

This should print out your whole test with no answers.

If you want an answer key:

1. When you finish creating your test and you are in the questions tab, be sure that "Show Question Details" is checked at the top if the page. 

ksigurdson_1-1621963647878.png

2. Use the Windows shortcut keys, Cntrl P, to open the print dialog box.

3. Select your printer or save as a .pdf and hit print. 

This should print an answer key. You may have to mess with the margins or fit it to the page. 

I hope this helps as a temporary solution.