Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
emwalton
Community Novice

I agree with the previous comments. This can’t be such a difficult task to accomplish, and

this request has been in the que for a number of years now. Can this be outsourced to

someone or a company who/that can address this in a timely manner?

Beth

magreen1
Community Novice

I need this feature to print copies of the quiz for students with that as a DSS accommodation. 

patrick_bailey
Community Novice

While we're creating this sort of wish-list feature: It would be great to not only be able to print quizzes, but also be able to use a "Generate Quiz" button to randomize the questions each time a copy is printed (along with the answers if we have that option selected in our assignment settings), which would make looking on a neighbor's quiz useless, since no two would be alike.

marienabors
Community Novice

Can anyone please tell me how to print a test to a PDF? Thanks!

TeachMoore
Community Explorer

Seriously, Instructure team, it's going on four years we've been asking for this. You must know there are even more who want it than have taken time to post, so what's the real problem??

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @marienabors  Welcometo the Canvas Community! You have found the place where a lot of conversation has happened around the future of printing quizzes. There are a number of ways to print quizzes now and for the best response I would suggest asking this question this question in the Find Answers‌ space or checking out some of the previous responses there such as Is there a way to better format printed quiz questions and answers.

aleverton
Community Participant

Adam Williams - I tried typing in PRINT QUIZ in the FIND ANSWERS and got 100 pages of things not related to printing quizzes. Can you give me better direction than the above answer?

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey aleverton, did you try going to this link, https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/11642 ?

aleverton
Community Participant

Yes, Adam, I did. The response says to use the browser print function which is all kinds of a hot mess (23 pages of printed material for a 50 question test and it has all sorts of formatting issues that make it impossible to use straight from a copy/paste) and it has missing links to some article that says "The good news is that in the session on The specified item was not found." Canvas needs to get on this and get on it now. A workaround on this issue with this many requests for fix for three + years is simply telling users that you don't care what they need and you're going to ignore what they want. (Reminiscent of Blackboard a decade ago.)

cholling
Community Champion

I agree that the browser print functionality leaves a lot to be desired when attempting to print quizzes. As our undergraduate program is still primarily classroom-based and likely to stay that way, our students take paper tests as much as anything else. Life would be so much simpler if our support staff could create a single master test in Canvas then print the test -- easier to randomize to minimize cheating and easier to maintain.