Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
brianp_geise
Community Novice

I love this idea. As an EC Resource teacher, we run into this situation frequently. A student will have a paper and pencil accommodation and it would be helpful to print via PDF. This would allow teachers more ability to modify assignments. Example - quiz is 20 questions long but the student has modified assignments. Selected 10 problems and print it for the student who has that modification.

jaclyn_curnutt
Community Novice
erikl_foor
Community Novice

Having the ability to print a quiz through Canvas not only makes sense, but ultimately helps in the classroom. If we are understanding that students differ in the way they learn and deliver information, then why is there only one option for test taking skills while utilizing Canvas. All students differ and should have at least the ability to chose how they would like the test. Maybe, alternating taking a test on canvas and then take a test on paper might show a difference. As teaching and gathering information only shows why we should implement this idea.

heather_stockfo
Community Contributor

Voted up!

Maeve_McCooey
Community Coach
Community Coach

Great idea, this would be particularly useful for ungraded surveys when staff would like the students to fill in evaluations for lectures, courses etc. 

sallya_moscato
Community Novice

I cannot agree with this more! In a world of IEP's and 504's, I have so many students who need a printed copy of the test. Most of the time I spend my time taking screen shots of each page, or having to retype all of the information that I just typed back into a word document. Having the ability to just click a button and have copies ready for my students would be AMAZING! It is also great to see my test all on one page so that I can truly see the grand scheme of what I am assessing and where each component is. A pdf could solve all of my problems! 

raffaella_mammu
Community Novice

It would be useful to be able to export students answers in a easy to read format (to satisfy accreditation requirements for example)  

christopherb_cl
Community Novice

I would love to have the option to print my quizzes also because I have students that use translation devices for quizzes. These devices struggle to capture certain words from the computer screen so the ability to print would make it easier for the student. 

My school also deals with internet outages and having a paper copy in a time of crisis would allow my lesson plan to continue without too much delay. 

temeial_william
Community Novice

As I am learning to use Canvas, I think this feature would be extremely helpful in the classroom like the other teachers on this thread.  We are going one to one with our Chromebooks and I'm almost certain that one of my students will neglect to bring their device to school on quiz day.  In this event, I would be able to print out the quiz.  I agree that for health reasons, and or accommodations having the capability to print quizzes would be helpful and beneficial in my -classroom.  Furthermore, with everything depending on wi-fi...if our wi-fi goes down, assessments won't.  So this is why I think this feature is important in the classroom.

elizabethk_pend
Community Novice

I think this would be an excellent idea.  One main reason I have stalled in adopting Canvas as my main platform is the limitations of the Quizzes feature.  I'd love to see Quizzes exported to PDFs as well.  Students would greatly benefit from quizzes being available as printable (per teacher discretion), because they would be able to correct mistakes and study for future quizzes and/or assessments.

I'd also love to explore the idea of importing pre-made quizzes and/or question banks into Canvas.  If Canvas partnered with ExamView to generate Quizzes for my course, then I would definitely use it much more often.  Typing each question (and answer choice for MC) has been tedious and seemingly not worth the effort.