Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
wrewitz
Community Novice

This is a feature I'm looking forward to.

carriewsanguine
Community Explorer

I agree! The ability to export a quiz to a PDF would be a HUGE help for teachers with students who need special accommodations.  If we do not allow teachers the ability to provide this for their students who are required by law to have the option of a paper test, then we are not supporting our goal of promoting the use of Canvas in every classroom. Teachers do not have time to create a quiz multiple times just so a student can have a paper copy, so the outcome will be that teachers will cease using Canvas for quizzes. This can be very frustrating. Please consider adding this option as a priority on your list. Thank  you!

parodign
Community Novice

Desperate to get this functionality.By law we need to store exams a for 2 years in The Netherlands. There is no way for me to use Quizzes in Canvas if I cannot print the student exams. It will be great to get it working, but it seems that this requests is already going for one year already. I wonder it still an option....

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Parodi

Our product team keeps tabs on this idea.  We do not have an update at this time.

The Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ project may make this easier, but we do not have a confirmation on that yet.

In regards to your use case above, are the archived exams required to be in print format?  If you are not deleting courses once they have concluded, all of the exams are retained within the Canvas course!

kdemello
Community Novice

Will this ever open again for voting?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

kdemello​, it's not necessary to open this idea again for voting, because the product team has already commented on it and is working on it as part of the larger Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ engine quiz refactor project to which  @Renee_Carney ​ linked above. I hope you'll have a look at it.

kennethdunham
Community Member

I am interested in this as well and would like to be notified whenever there is an answer. It is important to maintain a record of the student's test.

mweitzeil
Community Novice

Any updates on this?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Michael, as Renee and Stefanie both stated above, if you want updates on work around quizzes that is currently underway, the best course would be to follow and monitor Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

Thanks

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi

If you haven't already heard about the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine project you might want to check out theInstructureCon 2016 presentation our Senior Product Manager for Assessment, Jason Sparks, made.  At 28:35 in the video, he talks about printing in the new quiz engine currently in development.  If you have questions about this please let me know.

Thanks