Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
skelly2
Community Member

Yes, please! Some students have accommodations that require pencil and paper, or sometimes students don't have good wifi access (very rural) and need paper sent home (especially in quarantine). This feature would be very helpful!

SSMartin
Community Member

This would be a huge step forward in terms of making accommodations for all of my students, but especially my students with 504, IEP, or even ELL needs.

-I can quickly and easily provide a paper copy for students who are not tested on computers or who do not have reliable internet access.
-I can provide a quiz to a student who may be testing outside of the normal window to accommodate absences or separate setting issues that sometimes require the student to test on a different day.
-I could provide the same quiz to a group of students who receive read aloud while giving everyone else the jumbled and random quiz pulled from my question bank. This way the teacher in charge of read aloud can use one test and not confuse anyone in the group.

mostovsean
Community Novice

It would be great if teachers had the ability to print created quizzes in Canvas for student who were in need of a paper copy.

briddell
Community Participant

We can use Respondus 4.0 for this purpose for Classic Quizzes but not for New Quizzes (Quizzes.next)

Our faculty need this ability as they are required to save a .pdf version of all their exams. 

emily-wright
Community Explorer

The ability to generate print friendly exams in from Canvas quizzes would allow instructors to better utilize question banks across in-class and online assessments.  For example, one could create online practice quizzes from past years' exams if those exams had been stored in a Canvas question bank.

skiser
Community Member

Canvas also needs to allow for the New Quiz format to be downloaded and printed like it was available under the Classic quiz.  Those are two things that are worse/more restrictive under the NEW format.  

cvalle
Community Participant

We need this asap. Please!!!

jennifersimpson
Community Member

This feature is desperately needed for a variety of reasons.  I agree with the need for many of the comments already listed, but also as documentation to take with me to evaluations, as well as for future reference.   I mark on a key for every quiz I give (that isn't Canvas at this time) for notes and references of why students may miss a question or to analyze the questions.  I realize that Canvas does the analytics as well, but I would like a printout of my quiz so I can mark and make observations in realtime as students are quizzing.  For example, "Students were confused by the wording of this question" or "next time, be sure to include this ___________" in the instructions.

DB04
Community Novice

As a faculty member, I need the ability to print out a full set of questions that I have added to a quiz (with answers and feedback). There currently doesn't seem to be an option to do this easily, other than screen capture by question.

grothnl
Community Member

We are running into multiple hurdles when printing our Canvas quizzes, etc for students who need a paper copy of our digitally created materials. Please add a function on Canvas that would allow teachers to easily print the digital materials we are creating. While most students can function in the digital world, there are instances when modifications and paper copies may be needed for some of our most precious learners. Please make this easy for teachers to do.