Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
rolfis
Community Explorer

For those who are into Python, or knows someone that can execute such programs, I've written a small utility that transforms Canvas QTI exports into Word (and from there to PDF) or JSON. It's not complete, but it's a start for those that wants to have something in another format. 

Unfortunately it only supports version 1 quiz as there is no export for New Quiz in Canvas.

The utility simply called qti-convert can be found here:
https://github.com/rolfis/qti-convert

All the best,
Rolf Johansson
Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden

carla_gerona
Community Novice

As a professor, I would like the capacity to download quizzes into microsoft word.  Some faculty might want students to have this capacity too -- although I expect that most would want to be able to choose whether or not to make that capacity available.

Thank you

briddell
Community Participant

This is critical functionality not only for students with accommodations but also for accreditation. Please include this capability ASAP. At the very least, allow new quizzes to be exported so that they can be opened with Respondus 4.0 or some such program to create the printout/.pdf

rmcochran
Community Participant

I'm not sure why this hasn't been addressed by Canvas yet. This is vital when it comes to sharing assessments with accreditation teams, accommodations, etc.  How can we share new quizzes with accreditation teams who need to see examples of tests? A PDF would be ideal. 

semry1
Community Member

Please make this happen

wilsonbl
Community Member

I agree that it would be nice if quizzes would be printable in PDF format.  I am working with several students who are really struggling with depression and the online work isn't getting done by them. They prefer paper/pencil and really miss that component of classes.  I would like to be able to print these and give them to them without having to go to all  the work of printing and copying screenshots.

elui-131
Community Member

This idea is great!

stephanie_estes
Community Explorer

Yes!  I have paper only accommodations for testing that need this feature asap!  Love using New Quizzes....need this accessibility feature for my students!

montgomery1
Community Participant

This would be a great feature! We were able to do this with our old LMS and it creates a lot of extra work when a printed exam is needed.

cynthia_p_monro
Community Member

I am disheartened to see that this need was highlighted in 2015--six years ago. Is there a point to commenting here?

My need is similar to this, but would build on this functionality. I would like to be able to set, for each quiz, a feature that would automatically mail students a PDF file of completed, graded quiz, including my feedback, once I have graded all students' quizzes.

I'd also like to be able to name the quiz section, or a duplicate quiz section, and individual "quizzes" something else, like "Workbook" or "Practice". For lack of a dedicated feature, I've been using the quiz platform to create interactive, asynchronous lessons, in which students answer questions and practice concepts introduced in embedded content. The time they put in to these lessons would be much more worthwhile if they could collect PDF records for future reference.