[People] Printable course roster

As an instructor, I want a print button on the People tab that will generate a PDF or other printable document containing student names and photos in grid format. It'd be nice if the list could be sorted by groups, too.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Steve Hallman
Thank you especially for contributions by: Glen Parker, Miles Mancini, Richard Meyer

Added to Theme

54 Comments
tdelillo
Community Champion

While we're at it, make sure the Last Activity and Total Activity are part of it. And a PDF is nice, but having a .csv option would be great too, so it's sortable.

sharris
Community Participant

I see the benefit of having the profile pictures on a print out. However, the export gradebook feature will allow you to export & print out the class roster.

jstepl
Community Novice

This is a common request from our faculty.

jason_hill
Community Contributor

Very common request from our faculty as well.

hunter
Community Novice

How do I vote on this request. I would like to throw my weight behind this request.

jazemlya
Community Contributor

This was high enough on our priority list that we actually developed a local tool here at Indiana University for exporting rosters in a CSV file as part of our photo roster tool: https://kb.iu.edu/d/bffz

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Jennifer, voting is not currently open, but check out the info below and be sure to add your weight when it is open...

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Very nice  @jazemlya ​. Any chance this tool could be open-sourced and shared?

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

Just a side note, but you can get a PDF with Chrome and a right-click on the People page. Make sure to check the box to include background graphics and you get the avatar photos as well. Tiny, but present.

brandon_pousley
Community Novice

Tiny, but present.

As you mention, the main issue here is that this is not an intended feature (i.e. no easy to find 'Print' button) and the photos are so small it is almost useless. Maybe there could simply be a toggle for instructor view only that enables this larger quick-view. This is a must-have for so many of our faculty.