[People] Printable course roster

As an instructor, I want a print button on the People tab that will generate a PDF or other printable document containing student names and photos in grid format. It'd be nice if the list could be sorted by groups, too.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Steve Hallman
Thank you especially for contributions by: Glen Parker, Miles Mancini, Richard Meyer

Added to Theme

54 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jazemlya ​ did you see this note from awilliams​?

jazemlya
Community Contributor

Adam,

Right now this was developed with just IU in mind so it is not setup to be multi-tenant.  However, i know at least one institution has expressed interest in this so it may be possible in the future.  I will let you know if our LMS team ends up going that route as there has been discussion of making some of our tools available to other institutions.

straussi
Community Champion

We would like to see the Last Activity and/or Total Activity .csv also be part of any web services that talk to the Grade Book. This is needed to pass the data to our student information system.

bschneider
Community Novice

You'll have my vote next week - this is a request we get at EWU all the time!

John_Lowe
Community Champion

We had so many requests like this, that our institution wrote a custom tool to extract images from our online directory system to create PDFs for faculty.

jthoms
Community Novice

"Printable" is great, but I'd like to see more layouts: flashcards for learning names, a checklist for marking off attendance...

It should also be filter-able by section.

buellj
Community Contributor

This is a common request by our faculty. We had professional services create a customized solution for us, but it is very buggy and this should really be something that Canvas supports as a standard feature.

carrie_anderson
Community Novice

I though about writing my own tool, as right now I don't have a nice and easy, download and click, way to print out a roster.  I can either download an Excel file from our institution's system, or I can download the gradebook in Canvas.  Both I need to tweak to print.  At our institution, students who withdraw disappear from Canvas, but it seems there is a slight delay before the Canvas roster matches with the  institution's system so there are plusses and minuses to which roster I use.  I would really appreciate a download, even if the roster isn't exactly the latest version, that I didn't have to format each time I want to print, i.e., delete these columns, changes these titles, hmm, maybe I want last names first, etc.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

@sharris ​ mentioned the option of exporting Gradebook to use as a roster. Is this a viable option?

It's worth noting that the Gradebook export does not include student photos, and we may face technical constraints in including photos in formats other than PDF (like CSV).

sharris
Community Participant

Another thought. You could just use the wonderful Canvas app to access your class roster (w/ profile pictures). No need to print anything (save a tree !) + it's always with you.