[People] Printable course roster

As an instructor, I want a print button on the People tab that will generate a PDF or other printable document containing student names and photos in grid format. It'd be nice if the list could be sorted by groups, too.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Steve Hallman
Thank you especially for contributions by: Glen Parker, Miles Mancini, Richard Meyer

Added to Theme

54 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

man20
Community Explorer

I would LOVE to have an option to print the roster!!  I would like to easily export the names to do a grading sheet as well!  I would like to have the option of not printing their profile pictures though, I wouldn't need that.

a_mcelroy
Community Novice

If the PDF could also include the email addresses as well, that would be great. Or perhaps have the option to select what information you wanted available.

landisr
Community Member

I would love a photo roster sorted by the groups I have made in my course. I have 64 teams across all my sections, and learning their names by the teams I have created would be efficient! However, I only see a way to print each section by photo roster and not groups.

jgriggs
Community Participant

jennifer_stevens

This is a solution I found to get larger pictures  

The fine folks at Seattle University devised a better way to print a class roster if you want just names and faces.

Here are the instructions: https://citlspscc.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/printing-your-canvas-roster-with-photos/  For this trick to work, you must use Chrome as your browser.

An internal solution would be nice though.

hunter
Community Novice

Thanks for a great share. I tried it and it worked perfect. I agree Canvas should be able to set something up for us internally but thanks for a workaround for now.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Check out this latest comment from  @llaplue ‌, where he mentions a Chrome extension in the Chrome store that can help with this, Canvas Class Roster Pics - Chrome Web Store.

egertol
Community Novice

I agree - an option to export is very important - especially if you have 500+ students to keep track of.  And if they do this, they need to separate first and last names into separate fields.  Otherwise we'll be sorting by first name.

christin_johans
Community Novice

Every teacher needs to print a classlist. I do not now how you take participation . i do it directly on classlist. plase add this function really quick . if you had a supercar whoutout wheels - printing claslist is the wheels. 

chris_vegter
Community Explorer

This is something that should be relatively straightforward from Instructure to be able to generate. I have used the Chrome Hack (no longer works) I have used the CavasPics extension (no longer works).  Instructure there is the demand for it, I am betting someone could get it going pretty quickly on your end.  I would love to see this as a supported feature instead of relying on external developers to work on a hack to the system.