Printing Directly from Canvas

0 Likes
(3)

I am a university student and being able to access everything for school online is both helpful and overwhelming. I have a laptop with very little storage, and I get frustrated every time I have to print a document uploaded to Canvas because it requires me downloading it and finding it in my files. In previous school years, my school used Google Classroom, which allows you to print posted documents of common formats (doc, docx, pdf, png, etc) directly from the site without having to download it to your computer. Adding this to Canvas would greatly simplify things for me, and I'm sure many other students as well.

5 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Nicholi
Community Member

Hi,

I was about to suggest the same idea. My school used to be on Blackboard, and the ability to print directly is one of the disadvantages that came with switching to Canvas. Developing this feature would really help students. Please consider moving forward in adding this feature.

Thanks.

wgarrity
Community Member

I am a high school student and I feel like adding a print button directly in Canvas would be beneficial to all students that print out class materials without having to download it first. 

burrasto
Community Participant

We run courses that are generally attended by older users who often would rather read content on paper than on a screen.  Many of these students are also struggling a bit with the technology in the first place, so if there were a way for them to print directly from the file previewer it would streamline a lot, rather than requiring us to explain the extra steps of downloading and printing.  This is particularly the case as our students will be using a range of devices, browsers, and pdf readers, each with different interfaces adding to the possibility of confusion around any instruction we may provide.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.