[Modules] Publish / Unpublish ALL Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Instead of having to click every single item in a long list to Publish or Unpublish them all, it would save a lot of time if we had the option to "Publish All" or "Unpublish All". It would be even slicker if we could select or highlight a large group of multiple items (though not necessarily all of them) to publish or unpublish all at once.

Added to Theme

121 Comments
dross5
Community Member

For the love of all that is good and decent in this world, please implement this feature.  Canvas apparently glitched when I uploaded a number of files, and didn't publish them.  So when I set the links to the files on the pages/quizzes I didn't realize that my students wouldn't be able to see them b/c the file wasn't published, even though the page they were linked to were.  I just had to go and individually published almost 100 files so my students could get to them.

Please, that was the most frustrating and stupid task I have ever had to do.

tjc30
Community Novice

I completely agree with @anthony_rivera! Using modules from year to year makes it very annoying to publish the module and then proceed to unpublish all of its contents. Moreover, depending on my students' notification settings, it may send them an email for every assignment within the module when I publish the module, which I must imagine is pretty annoying for them.

Please fix this. 

I really don't want to have to make a new module for every lesson of the school year.

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

At the beginning of every term I spend lots of time unpublishing everything in my course.  Time waster.

jhallal
Community Member

I am definitely logged in but there is no 'kudos' option. 
I just want to be clear that I have a very strong KUDOS 👍for this idea and so do my staff! 

ashlib
Community Member

When publishing a module, any unpublished content will also automatically publish. It would be nice if the reverse also worked--to unpublish a module and have all of the content unpublish as well. 

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

This is a great idea.

A lot of novice Canvas instructors don't realize that students can often access Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes through the Course Navigation Bar. Yes, they can and should disable these "entry points" in the Course Navigation Bar, but that's something that has to be pointed out to them.

That being said, Ashlib's suggestion would definitely go a long way in helping out novice instructors manage what their students can see and access.

dorgant
Community Participant

this would be helpful

hwalter1
Community Participant

Oh god... please no. Please fix this. This is so stupid. 

samvall
Community Member

Scott Dennis's post from  ‎08-03-2016 07:45 AM says that publishing a module with two unpublished pages will not also publish the pages. This is not my experience. If I have some pages published and other unpublished, when I click publish for the module - EVERYTHING gets switched to published mode. This is incredibly frustrating, as we keep teacher notes and resources organised in modules which aren't student facing.
Can this feature be corrected or added to my institutions capability?

Shawna_Wright
Community Explorer

I wish we could unpublish in bulk. This could be done on the pages list...a button like the delete and a "select all".