[Modules] Publish / Unpublish ALL Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Instead of having to click every single item in a long list to Publish or Unpublish them all, it would save a lot of time if we had the option to "Publish All" or "Unpublish All". It would be even slicker if we could select or highlight a large group of multiple items (though not necessarily all of them) to publish or unpublish all at once.

Added to Theme

121 Comments
BrandyThomas
Community Novice

Why does the unpublished module button not work within the modules? For instance 5.01, 5.02, 5.03, 5.04. If I only want 5.01 to show instead of all modules. I have to uncheck each page and assignment. When I hit unpublish for 5.02-5.04 is there a way to do this without having to uncheck each page and assignment?

SuleimanAshur
Community Novice

I am a new user of Canvas, and I was surprised that you have to click every single item in a long list to Publish or Unpublish all of them. I hope the option to "Publish All" or "Unpublish All" will be available as soon as possible. It will save time and make it very convenient for instructors, especially when they copy a course shell at the beginning of a semester to unpublish all.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

This would be very helpful. These bulk actions are no-brainers. 

foreverlaur
Community Member

Yes, please. This has been an "idea" for years with no progress? I just imported my spring 2021 course into my spring 2022 course and I want the modules published but nothing inside them. It's a very tedious process to unpublish them, especially because hitting unpublish makes me also choose if I'd truly like to unpublish them or just make it so you must have a link or scheduled availability. 

CarlaBywaters
Community Novice

@foreverlaur and anybody else who is interested 🙂

I may have found the answer (provided it's not in the 100+ responses)!

Go to the Files page, click on the first document, and it should be highlighted/selected.

Next, scroll down to to the bottom of the page, hold the SHIFT key, and click on the last document. They should all be highlighted/selected.

Scroll back to the top and selected Manage Access, the cloud with a key, which is next to View.

Select the button next to Unpublish (it should be filled in blue), and finally select Update.

It worked for me, and I hope it works for you!

resartoris
Community Participant

@CarlaBywaters thank you for sharing this trick! I learned something new. This thread is for unpublishing all content in modules - were you able to find something for that issue? Right now we can publish the module and all the content with one click, however, there is no option to UNpublish the module and all the content in it with one click. Teachers have to click each individual item. It would be great if teachers were able to "select all" as you described! 🙂

sharked
Community Novice

I've been waiting for this "feature" (unpublish all or mass unpublish) ever since my campus started using Canvas.  I'm surprised to see this idea dates back 5+ years here and we still don't have the capability.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

I have modules with a lot of materials carried over from previous terms. I want to publish the modules, but not all the contents because I haven't edited anything. It would be nice to have more ability to select what gets published instead of every single item in the module going live. I hope students aren't getting a notification for all of those things that I then have to rush to unpublish... 

jherron1
Community Explorer

Yep!  Keep this one going, we definitely need this feature.  

Interesting that a couple of ideas that seem like huge needs have been around for many years.  😕 

mpfaff1
Community Participant

We have faculty still asking for this as well. Some of them have literally hundreds of links from third-party integrations that import just a ton of separate links, so while it doesn't seem like a big deal for faculty who create their own content, those importing lots of content should have this options.