[Modules] Publish / Unpublish ALL Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Instead of having to click every single item in a long list to Publish or Unpublish them all, it would save a lot of time if we had the option to "Publish All" or "Unpublish All". It would be even slicker if we could select or highlight a large group of multiple items (though not necessarily all of them) to publish or unpublish all at once.

Added to Theme

121 Comments
benprytherch
Community Explorer

This is a really fantastic idea, especially being able to select a group of items and then publish / unpublish selected items.  

The most frustrating experience with Canvas is always the beginning of a new semester, when I have to decide to build a new course from scratch or copy a previous one.  If I copy a previous one, I will inevitably spend a lot of time deleting or moving or unpulishing things ONE. AT. A. TIME.  It is so needlessly time consuming.  

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

When you copy a course, you can actually decide what items to copy and those to not copy.  Let me see if I can find the tutorial for you!

rcoulson
Community Novice

Yes I agree for both modules/assignments and files!  It's so time consuming to do all of them individually.

augustone1998
Community Member

This feature would shorten my prep for each module by a bunch. 3 clicks for each PDF is very cumbersome. 

curtis_pembrook
Community Member

I'm at a loss as to why a feature that is a simple part of an instructor's user task flow would take so long to implement. Voting assumes an infinite number of use cases. I suggest Instructure have some UX/UI Designers meet with faculty to better identify core use cases and make immediate adjustments. This simple feature has been in "voting" stage for two years!

curtis_pembrook
Community Member

Is this delay due to legacy code?

adias
Community Novice

Guys... this is killing me... new semester, tons of assignments in my courses, and I have to unpublish ONE-BY-ONE?!?!?! Also, curious why anybody would downvote this? lol

borend
Community Novice

I agree, it is such a basic programming fix. I don't understand why anyone

would downvote. But I have seen other great ideas be downvoted and didn't

unstand them either. Reading comments, it is usually those that don't want

it, then don't vote at all....

Our college has gone to 8 week courses, so I know have to publish

/unpublish 4 times a year instead of only 2!

Debra Boren

CADD Technology

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM adias@cogswell.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.