[Announcements] Publish and Unpublish Announcements

I love that Canvas can bring over announcements when I copy content from another Canvas course. This keeps me from copying and pasting announcements I make every semester.  To further develop this feature, it would be nice if Announcements were unpublished on import, meaning the instructor can see them but the students can't. With a "publish button on every announcement, instructors could release announcements quickly when they are needed without the tedious setting of a date and time on each announcement.

This feature would also bring announcements in line with other tools in Canvas that use publish and unpublish functionality and would help instructors who might unintentionally be releasing announcements to students from a past semester.

Added to Theme

198 Comments
pcosta
Community Explorer

PLEASE add this simple but useful and time saving feature!!!

mark_kerfoot
Community Participant

Please add this idea!

I copy my courses from the previous semester, then need to spend hours editing each announcement to "delay posting" until an appropriate time during the new semester. After setting the delay, the announcements get ordered according to latest delay (totally backwards - I want to see the announcements that are coming up soonest).

Including "publish/unpublish" capability for announcements would immediately solve these annoying problems and save me many hours of work.

Thank you for reading.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Agreed! Please add a "publish/unpublish" option for announcements.

Announcements are used frequently to communicate with students in online courses. The ability to import announcements when copying a course is helpful - EXCEPT that we must then go in to each one and enter a new "delay" posting date. The order in which they display on the page is also frustrating. 

jsoares
Community Explorer

Absolutely! Please add a "publish/unpublish" option for announcements.

anne_lightbody
Community Explorer

Individually delaying each of my announcements after importing a course is a time waster. I fully support adding an obvious publish/unpublish button (and ideally defaulting to unpublished status). 

A related issue is that, when I import announcements from one of my old Canvas classes, the name of the original poster disappears, and the user photograph defaults to a generic "U" (for user, presumably), even when I remain the same user who posted the original announcement. As a result, I find myself needing to first copy and then delay each of the announcements. This wastes even more time. I don't see anyone else complaining about this behavior so perhaps it is unique to my institution....but still a big time sink.  (If it matters, this occurs regardless of whether I choose to copy an existing Canvas course, or import a downloaded Canvas course export package.)

Community Novice

I copied content over from a site from last semester to make the same class for this semester. It brought all the Announcements, of course, but they are all visible to students. I use the same Announcements each semester, so I do not want to delete them. I would like to hide them all from students until the day I want to post them? I don't want to have to go through them all individually to change the date to 2050, like I've been doing, so they are hidden. I would like a way to easily hide them all at once.

mgebara-lamb
Community Explorer

Please put in a mute button for the announcements. Teachers have been asking for years. After transferring the course, it is a pain having to go through each announcement, click edit, delay release. We should be able to just deactivate them all, until we are ready. Please consider this soon. Thanks

mark_kerfoot
Community Participant

Another problem with importing announcements . . they are not associated with the author, but instead show a shadow avatar and are marked "U" (I assume for UNKNOWN).

When I import my own announcements, I want to use them for my students again and I want them to be seen as coming from ME.

Please consider adding this feature when you implement the publish/unpublish announcement capability.

kevin_b_lowe
Community Novice

This is such a no-brainer.  Announcements should be enabled to toggle on or toggle off (publish or unpublish) just like pages or most other areas of Canvas.  Even when one substantially changes a course there are well crafted announcements that still apply.  To have to sit there and delete all of the announcements that come over when you roll over a course just because Canvas wont let you unpublish them until  the time they are needed is a huge waste of the instructors time.  

In summary please make each announcement individually published or unpublished by the click of a publish or unpublish button.

mmcmullen
Community Explorer

xlnt