[Announcements] Publish and Unpublish Announcements

I love that Canvas can bring over announcements when I copy content from another Canvas course. This keeps me from copying and pasting announcements I make every semester.  To further develop this feature, it would be nice if Announcements were unpublished on import, meaning the instructor can see them but the students can't. With a "publish button on every announcement, instructors could release announcements quickly when they are needed without the tedious setting of a date and time on each announcement.

This feature would also bring announcements in line with other tools in Canvas that use publish and unpublish functionality and would help instructors who might unintentionally be releasing announcements to students from a past semester.

Added to Theme

198 Comments
jsharp1
Community Member

I continue to post to this community discussion in hopes that Canvas will finally respond in some way. It continues to be very frustrating that for whatever reason Canvas chooses to ignore what seems to be a very simple request. Even an explanation of why this functionality is not possible would even be welcome.

pcosta
Community Explorer

AGREED!! I’ve also requested this feature. Thanks for pursuing! 

mgebara-lamb
Community Explorer

Yes CANVAS please unpublish all announcements

elawlor
Community Participant

Here it is 2021, and the Unpublish Announcement feature is still not implemented. I understand that the surge of Canvas use during the pandemic would slow down improvements, but @peytoncraighill said it was being seriously considered for development in 2015!

The features I would like, suggested by previous commenters:

• For announcement management
    • Default unpublish for announcements when importing a class.
    • *Unpublish / publish capability next to announcement title (as for modules).
    • Announcement list sort capability (by date and alphabetical order)
      • For students and instructors
  • For announcement production
    • *Default "save" without publishing.
    • *Separate button for "save and publish" (as for discussions and quizzes).
    • Begin / end availability date settings (as for discussions and quizzes).

Starred items seem like the most urgent and simplest to implement.

JB12345
Community Novice

This frustrates me every quarter when I have to go back and copy and paste all of the announcements over again. Also, there should be the option to draft announcements in advance and "save" them to send in the future (and ideally it would be great to have the option to set a calendar date and time to "send"), and then a separate option to "send" and publish the announcement. It would also be helpful to be able to share some announcements with all of your Canvas sections that quarter as some are relevant to all courses such as important university announcements, graduation application deadline reminders, etc. Great suggestion-hope Canvas implements this soon!

AmieClawson
Community Member

I would love to migrate all announcements that I have created for a past course into a new/updated course but indefinitely delay the announcement. Currently the only option is to put at date that is outside of the open course date. I usually just select the next year for the delayed announcement date.  

rjf227
Community Participant

I agree with @RobDitto and think that the ability to publish/unpublish announcements and/or multi-select and delay posting of all to a specific date would be very beneficial.

MIKESMALLEY
Community Novice

Please allow announcements to be published and unpublished.

mark_kerfoot
Community Participant

Another new semester and another half-day spent copying/pasting announcements and setting postponed release dates.

Some suggestions for time-saving improvements:

• Please associate imported announcements to specific user's Canvas account if they are imported from a course with the same user's account (currently, imported announcements attribute the author to an anonymous "U")
  • Please allow announcements to be published/unpublished!

Thank you for listening!

mgebara-lamb
Community Explorer

I thought for sure this semester CANVAS would have added a publish and unpublish button. It is a must! CANVAS this is costing us too much time. Please, Please, Please allow announcements to be published/unpublished!

Thank you