[Commons] Push alert / notification for an update to a page in Commons

Afeature notifying users that have either downloaded a course or favorited one that an update has been made to it. 

maybe a push notification of the option to push update or an actual push of new content?

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@tavinger 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've opened it for general conversation as a request to add a new external notification that would accompany the functionality described in How do I view updates to resources I previously imported from Commons? (instructors can see notification updates in their Commons notifications center).

michelle_schewe
Community Member

I came to the Canvas Community to see if it is possible to automatically notify folks that have downloaded a module from the Commons of any updates to the module. It sounds like this is not yet a feature, so I would like to add my vote here for Canvas to work on this.

Elena_ML
Community Novice

I really like that idea of a push notification or something like that!  At my school we create modules that many on campus download from Canvas Commons but when we make updates to those modules over time, they don't know that the module has been updated and keep using an old one.  Since we don't know who has downloaded our modules, it would be great if Canvas had a way to let them know like via email or like earlier mentioned a push notification. 

lisa_lapointe
Community Novice

This would be very helpful for users who create content to share widely. 

dsheil1
Community Explorer

Absolutely

JarrodHiles
Community Participant

As an extension of this, when piece of content imported from commons is copied to another course, the link with Commons is broken for other instructors who may have taken over the course. I.e. they are not notified of content updates. 

HallieBurgess
Community Explorer

I think this would be very helpful!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme