Put Grades In Email Notifications

0 Likes

It would be nice if the grades were right in the email that was sent to the student telling them that an assignment has been graded. I am a student.

8 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

abe8
Community Novice

When a grade is posted on Canvas, you get an email saying that the grade has been posted, but the actual grade is not shown in the email. Sometimes you just want to rip off the bandaid instead of compounding your anxiety with extra steps. I think it would be nice to include the grade in the email.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Please note that this feature might be possibly available as an opt-in for Grading notifications, depending on your school or university's administrative settings in Canvas.  From the Canvas Notifications PDF guide:

If you want to see your grades as part of these notifications, check the Include scores when alerting about grades checkbox. This checkbox also includes a warning that if your email is not an institution email, sensitive content will be sent outside of your institution. Your institution can enable or disable this option at any time. If the Include scores checkbox is not visible in the notifications page, your institution has disabled this feature.

(For what it's worth, my own institution doesn't allow opting in to scores in notifications, due to their relationship to FERPA education records. Thus, I'm not even sure exactly where the setting appears - but that PDF implies it's adjacent to where you see Grading notifications, specifically, in your Account > Notifications).

SCaldwell5
Community Member

@RobDitto Thank you, that sounds very informative and I have clicked the checkmark! I will have to see if this works.

SCaldwell5
Community Member

@RobDitto @Renee_Carney @abe8 I have changed the settings and it works. Case closed.

TIFFANYSCANIFFE
Community Member

I get endless emails from my daughter's classroom that assignments have been grades. However, it doesn't include the grade. It would save parents so much time if you included the grade in the email instead of just saying the assignment was graded. Parents get too many emails as is from Canvas and just putting the grade in the email would prevent us from having to login unnecessarily to Canvas to see if the grade met standard or not. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@TIFFANYSCANIFFE 

Observers can customize their own notification preferences so as to include the grade in their external notifications:

observer notification.png

General instructions for customizing notifications are in  How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as... If the option to include the score isn't available in your own settings, please reach out directly to the school, as they may need to enable this permission at their end.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived