Question Randomizer in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

My faculty would like to be able to select randomize questions rather than randomize or shuffle answers when they set up an exam or quiz in Canvas. They can set a questions group which will in turn randomize them, but it should be just a simple click to have it shuffle the questions.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with Quizzes.Next User Group

For more information, please read through the How do I manage delivery settings for an assessment in Quizzes.Next? 

:smileyinfo: We are not currently developing within the original quizzing tool.

35 Comments
mgohman
Community Novice

This was archived due to low votes, this should definitely be a feature pf Canvas. Please vote again here:

" style="color: #2989c5;

cohenf
Community Participant

Consider this an up-vote, as voting is closed. I just don't understand why Canvas lacks so many multiple-choice question features that my university's old, dated LMS had, for example, this one. We could just click "Random."

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello again,  @cohenf ​! Smiley Happy Personally, I have hopes that this is going to be addressed in the soon-to-be-unveiled quiz refactor project,  Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine.

cohenf
Community Participant

Thank you, again, stefaniesanders​, for being responsive and helpful. We just made the switch to Canvas and, so, I have some initial frustration at not having the same multiple choice options. However, let me make clear that I find Canvas to be superior, especially less buggy, than our old LMS. It so nice to be able to use a  back button and to have multiple tabs open without any bug being triggered. That bug-free quality probably has to do with careful, slow roll-out of new features such as those in "Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine."

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cohenf , I remember so well the "But my old LMS could do that!" blues, which is the very feeling that brought me to the Canvas Community in the first place. But you're right; the pluses vastly outweigh the minuses, and once you get past the initial transition stage, I think you and your colleagues will be as thrilled about the move to Canvas as I was five years ago--and still am today. Smiley Happy

mark_garrett
Community Novice

It looks like all questions in a Question Group have to have the same point value? This would make it impossible to randomize quiz questions that have different point values?

hensonj
Community Novice

Correct, unless you create groups for each different point value.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yep,  @mark_garrett , what hensonj​ has suggested is exactly how I create my quizzes. I create question groups and decide which questions should be weighted more strongly than others, and place the questions in them accordingly--and just to keep things nice and simple for my students, I always make sure that the total points equal 100.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

Hi Stefanie,

I guess there's no more progress on randomizing questions for a single test? I know there's a way to do it through question groups, but as others have said, a per-test randomize selection would come in very, very handy. Just the other day we had an instructor come in who has a test for each chapter of the text book, and therefore needs to keep each test "exclusive" to that chapter. She would also like to randomize the questions in each test. Thanks.