Question Randomizer in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

My faculty would like to be able to select randomize questions rather than randomize or shuffle answers when they set up an exam or quiz in Canvas. They can set a questions group which will in turn randomize them, but it should be just a simple click to have it shuffle the questions.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with Quizzes.Next User Group

For more information, please read through the How do I manage delivery settings for an assessment in Quizzes.Next? 

:smileyinfo: We are not currently developing within the original quizzing tool.

35 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

roedelt‌, with development on the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext?sr=search&searchId=486a1bb5-5a3e-456a-b0...‌ project in full swing, new features are for the most part not being added to the existing quiz functionality, so ideas such as these are being aligned with the Quizzes:Next priority for possible inclusion in the new quiz engine.

kaley_ballard
Community Novice

Moodle had a checkbox for randomizing the questions and the answers within the questions. That is what I would like to see.

alh245
Community Participant

@Renee_Carney 

Yea!  Thanks so much!

madge101963
Community Novice

It does seem like it would be more streamlined to have a simple click.  Everything that makes it easier and saves time is an improvement for the teacher's use.

jykysa
Community Novice

I would love this option so that I do not have to create multiple exams. This feature would help with the wandering eye syndrome of students who love to look at their classmates computer. 

hensonj
Community Novice

There is a workaround for this. it's just not as simple as a one click option.

jykysa
Community Novice

Please share with me

Ms. LaVonna Felton

hensonj
Community Novice
tiffany_maglasa
Community Novice

But also, when you're using speedgrader's "Grade by question (beta) function" it should know that Q1 is obviously different across students and direct me to the spot in the next student's quiz, where they saw that question... not to whatever version their q1 was. 

I have my questions (Short Answers) shuffled, so when I click next student it just shows me which ever SA question they got first, instead of the one I was grading for the previous student.... This is very annoying... and should be an easy fix, since the computer knows which question is which. 

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I concur with James. Yes, there are several ways to randomize/shuffle questions using question banks, but that takes more steps and planning than a simple button.