Quick Toggle Student View

Being able to toggle into Student View within my classes in order to double- and triple-check to make sure "everything is as it should seem" is a wonderful feature built into Canvas.

FEATURE IDEA: Have a quick toggle button located at the upper-righthand navigation that allowed me to toggle Student View ON/OFF easily, would improve my workflow and efficiency in setting up new assignment / pages / etc.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community

79 Comments
bogardde
Community Participant

That's a great point, Summer!

jthoms
Community Novice

At a minimum, it would be great to see the button on the course homepage, as well as under Settings.

adachung_ihub
Community Novice

Teachers always complain it is difficult to find the "Student View" button, it would be nice if this frequently used function can be put in a more handy/visible place.

hardendavid
Community Novice

Yes, please! When I'm developing my course and I make an edit and then want to see the student view, it typically takes me 6 clicks, a total of 30 seconds (I timed it...it came out to 29.99 seconds).  Sometimes it also takes a few clicks to get out of student view back to where I was editing.  I find myself needing to check the student view quite a lot, so this is adding a significant amount of time to the process...hours, I would guess.

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a great idea. Is it fair to assume that the "Quick Student View" would be useful as part of the navigation on any regular course page (pages, assignments, discussion, etc.)? We are almost done fixing the user search page which includes a quick link to masquerade as users, but this sounds like a different workflow (see what the page I'm working on looks like to a general student rather than view Canvas from a specific student's perspective).

If my description describes the need well, I can work with our designer to see how we could incorporate that view into many of our pages.

wade1
Community Explorer

Love the feature in BB now...and we are switching to Canvas for Spring 2017....making Canvas the perfect place!

Thanks to all!

bogardde
Community Participant

Welcome and congratulations for making the move to Canvas!

alg813
Community Novice

I just now thought of this! So glad someone else agrees!!

jen
Community Contributor

I thought of this last night when talking with  @lindalee ​. Glad to see it's so popular Smiley Happy

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

As my colleague mentioned, we have revamped our user search page to include a quick link to "masquerade". The implementation we went with may not be exactly as described in this thread. However, it is a drastic improvement to current workflow. Feel free to check out the new user search page, it is live in beta!