Quick Toggle Student View

Being able to toggle into Student View within my classes in order to double- and triple-check to make sure "everything is as it should seem" is a wonderful feature built into Canvas.

FEATURE IDEA: Have a quick toggle button located at the upper-righthand navigation that allowed me to toggle Student View ON/OFF easily, would improve my workflow and efficiency in setting up new assignment / pages / etc.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community

79 Comments
kona
Community Champion

Deactivated user​, maybe I'm missing something, but I went to Beta and I don't see where anything is different. Where specifically should we be seeing something different/new?

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

In your feature options, you need to turn on the "course and user search". Then click on courses and you will see the new UI. From there, there is quick access to "masquerade".

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user, maybe I'm missing something as well, but I'm not seeing that feature option in beta; so far, I've checked three different accounts in which I have admin privileges.

marthazumack
Community Contributor

I do not see this option under Feature Options in beta – this is all I see:

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 13.18.55.png

kona
Community Champion

I'm not seeing it either. Smiley Sad

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Eeeek, I need to make a correction. The "user and course search" is not yet available in beta to all users. We have a few more tickets that need to be completed prior to releasing it to the public beta. My apologies!

ahardesty
Community Participant

This is a great idea. The Student View is such a great feature, but sort of a pain to get to. Thanks for suggesting!

lindalee
Community Contributor

I'm looking forward to trying this after it's available in beta!

In the meantime, a question: Is this easier access to masquerade (become) functionality? Or will this be something that instructors (who aren't also admins with the permission to masquerade) can take advantage of? Deactivated user​'s post from January seems to indicate that the new feature Deactivated user​ described was an improvement already in the works, rather than an implementation of this  feature idea. Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

June 2016 update from Deactivated user​

We are revamping our user search page to include a quick link to "masquerade". The implementation we went with may not be exactly as described in this thread. However, it is a drastic improvement to current workflow.  We'll let you know when it's in beta.

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Great news! I look forward to seeing this in beta