Quick Toggle Student View

Being able to toggle into Student View within my classes in order to double- and triple-check to make sure "everything is as it should seem" is a wonderful feature built into Canvas.

FEATURE IDEA: Have a quick toggle button located at the upper-righthand navigation that allowed me to toggle Student View ON/OFF easily, would improve my workflow and efficiency in setting up new assignment / pages / etc.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community

79 Comments
dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

Great. I have now submitted a version to Chrome Web Store and it is currently under review. I will edit my original comment to contain the link once the extension is published (it will probably be a day or two).

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

The extension is now published (unlisted) at the Chrome Web Store. Please refer to my original comment above which is now edited to contain info on how to access the extension.

probinson1
Community Participant

Okay, I've added the Chrome extension, I see the spectacles...now what? Nothing happens when I click on it other than the drop-down:

337026_Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.42.24 PM.png

And if I click on "Quick Student View":

337027_Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.42.38 PM.png

So...how do I toggle the SV on and off?

Thanks for doing the Chrome thing!

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

Hi Polly,

Thank you for your message.

The spectacles icon you clicked is the extension menu icon in the Chrome toolbar. That is used to control the extension itself. If all has worked as it should, there should also be a (larger) spectacles icon at the top right in the actual Canvas window, below the toolbar (see image). That is the one that is supposed to do the magic trick and get you to the Student View (this version of the extension works with Canvas host URLs ending in instructure.com . Does yours?).

I realise that there is a potential for confusion here. I should (and will) change the extension's icon so that it is distinct in appearance from actual SV link icon.

Please make sure to report back whether you got it to work.

Best,

Dan

337093_pastedImage_1.png

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

The extension's icon is now changed.

341214_pastedImage_1.png

probinson1
Community Participant

AH! Wait...ignore my private response to your message. Yes, it's awesome, thank you!

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

Glad to hear that!

terry_brown
Community Novice

thanks  @dan_baeckstrom ‌! This is great! Well done.

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

Hi Terry.

Thanks. Glad you liked it. Please consider giving it a favourable rating at Chrome Web Store<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/canvas-quick-student-view/idkfmdcfofomdpiflkonjlcnllkffhoh> Smiley Happy

Best,

Dan

J_Stallsworth
Community Explorer

This is very much needed and would make verifying student access to course materials easy.