Quiz/Assignment Restriction According to Score(s) on Other Quizzes/Assignments

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Although I've looked and couldn't find anything, I'll apologize in advance if this quiz/assignment restriction has been requested, is up for voting or in development and I just don't know about it.

I would really like to see a restriction feature added to assignments/quizzes granting students access according to score(s) on one or more other assignments/quizzes. I find this type of restriction extremely useful both as a motivational tool and to help guarantee mastery.

Motivational Tool - I can create a bonus assignment/quiz accessible to students only after they have received a specific score on a previous assignment/quiz. The restriction essentially "unlocks" a specific assignment/quiz for students who have performed at a specific level I predetermined. My students work very hard to achieve a specific score on an assignment that grants them access to another assignment/quiz for bonus points.

Guaranteeing Mastery - This type of restriction is wonderful when it comes to guaranteeing mastery. For example, a student MUST receive a certain score on a quiz before (s)he is allowed to take the next assessment. Or, perhaps students are required to receive a certain score on a chapter assessment before (s)he is allowed to move on to any assignments/quizzes for the next chapter.

If this type of restriction currently exists or if there is a workaround that someone knows about, please let me know!

Thanks,

-Brandon Goodwin

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-11-19)

18 Comments
victoria-maloy
Community Champion

I'm so glad the voting is open for this feature!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

124933_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-11-07)

We also encourage you to take a few minutes to join the Beta Release (2016-11-07) Collaborative Chat and learn with your community!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-11-19)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @bgoodwin  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @victoria-maloy  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed