Quiz Question Numbering in Edit Mode

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31931_QuestionNumberingInLearningStudio.jpgQuestionNumberingInLearningStudio.jpg

When editing a quiz with many questions (25+ questions), we cannot see the question numbers.  They do appear, however, when previewing the quiz.  When editing questions, this makes it very difficult to search for a question.  We would have to search for the text using Ctrl+F to find the question we are looking to edit.  The work-around to manually type in the question number in the title field of the question is not great.  What if you have to add a question in the middle later on?  Then you have to manually re-number all of your questions.

The Technical College where I work recently moved from Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio platform to Canvas.  In LearningStudio, the question numbers are visible in editing mode.  The screen shot I've included shows where question numbers are displayed.  When I click on a "+" sign next to any question, I have the ability to edit it.

Please add question numbers to quizzes when in the Edit mode.  If it matters, this idea had 53 votes in the old Community forum since 11/8/2012.  Thank you for considering.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
29 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Contributor

This would be very helpful for Support and Admins too. Especially when trying to report and resolve issues. A Teacher will say something like there's an issue with question 52 and when you go to try and troubleshoot that question either you had to remember to copy part of the question so you can do a find or you have to count questions until you get to 52.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Exactly, cms_hickss​!  I wish my idea had more votes...as I see value having the numbers displayed for editing purposes.  You've got a great "Use Case" here!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Chris:

I voted - in both locations now!

I have wanted this since day one. I also teach courses in Canvas (besides being another college's LMS admin), and like most teachers I occasionally make a mistake on a question item. Without the numbers it is a real pain to try to locate and mix the bad item.

Kelley

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for the vote and comments,  @kmeeusen ​!

hvaughn
Community Contributor

This would be so helpful! 

garciah
Community Champion

I would also like to be able to see the question type without having to edit the question. If the quiz or bank is less than 50 questions, I can preview the question, but if it's over 50, I have to click on each question to see what type of question it is. Or am I missing something...?

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png84996_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

sigh.jpg

kls505
Community Novice

Not only is it hard to search for a question, it is ridiculously and unnecessarily difficult to put questions in proper order if you add or delete questions after the first iteration of the quiz.

michael9
Community Novice

Why would you not number questions? Isn't it intuitive that if you have a collection of objects you might want  to know how many you have, and have some way to easily refer to one of them?

How do two instructors, collaborating on a quz, refer to a particular question? Awkwardly, obviously. How does someone writing a quiz figure out how many questions they have in a question bank? By counting, every frigging time.

I say that if users can't have quiz questions numbered, then the Canvas developers must never, ever turn on line numbering in their IDEs!