Quiz Review; Show Students Their Answes w/o Right/Wrong

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Options Settings--Responses, can be misleading to our faculty.  Hence, it was often selected incorrect by our faculty.  Please refer to the attached file regarding a better resolution.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Sue Yeo
Instructional Designer
Mount Carmel College of Nursing
127 S Davis Ave Columbus, OH 43222
614.234.1590 Office 614.234.2875 Fax

[Instructure Edit, March 3rd, 2016)

Quote inline below, "...the issue is that by letting students see their quiz responses they automatically (even if show the correct answer is unchecked) will see which questions they got INCORRECT. Which might not tell them which answer is correct (unless it's T/F), but definitely does more than just show which answer the student selected for each quiz question/response to an essay. In general this is confusing and it would be nice if the box just allowed students to see their responses and not if they got the answer incorrect or not."

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16 .

17 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello Sue,

To ensure that we understand your request correctly, please give us more information.  Can you tell us why your faculty members make incorrect selections?  What is it that they think will have than what actually happens?

Thanks,

Scott

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @syeo ​,

Just following up to see if you saw my question?

Thanks,

Scott

syeo
Community Novice

Dear Scott:

Please refer to the following reply from one of our faculty:

"Intuitively, it's misleading to state "let students see their quiz responses". That tells me that they can see the answer that they put (their response) but not whether that answer is correct or incorrect. I have many students who like to go back to questions earlier in a quiz/exam and rethink their answer. They like to know which answer that they choose. I don't check "let students see the correct answer" until after I look at the item analysis. Then I open up the access to the answers. If the students know whether they have answered a question correct or incorrect when they finish their exam, that may be before the quiz closes. The quizzes are open for a week as I am working with working adults who need a flexible schedule to complete the quizzes. If they know whether their answers are correct or incorrect, they can share that information with their classmates who have not taken the quiz. It's really a concern about test security."

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Sue

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Sue,

I guess that is the part I am having a hard time understanding.  Currently there if you choose the 'let students see their responses' the option to also let them see what answers were correct is not also checked by default:

2016-03-02_1321 - Scott.Dennis's library

Having said that, there isn't a way to let students see the correct answers without also letting them see what their answers were so it makes sense (to me anyway) that the option to see correct would be indented as it is a sub-option to the Show Correct option.

That being said, we will put this idea up for vote and see if this is a commonly experienced problem.

Thanks,

Scott

kona
Community Champion

@scottdennis ​, the issue is that by letting students see their quiz responses they automatically (even if show the correct answer is unchecked) will see which questions they got INCORRECT. Which might not tell them which answer is correct (unless it's T/F), but definitely does more than just show which answer the student selected for each quiz question/response to an essay.

in general this is confusing and it would be nice if the box just allowed students to see their responses and not if they got the answer incorrect or not. Or, if the box was renamed to better indicate that you're getting both (student responses and incorrect answers) with the one checkbox.

carol_thompson1
Community Novice

Adult learning principles say students need as close to immediate response as possible for learning. Having to wait a week certainly does not meet this principle. I shorten the time students have to take the exam but still really doesn't meet this principle. I understand about the ideas of let them see their answers but if they don't know if it was correct or not then why would they look except after general test review has been done. I want to give them rational but if you show them what the correct answer is then they automatically also see the rational. I would like giving them the rational as a separate feature.  I see this as a major limitation of canvas.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Oh, OK, I think I get it now.  I changed the title of this one to "Quiz Review; Show Students Their Answes w/o Right/Wrong"  Do you think that is a better description?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

^ carol.thompson1​ and  @kona ​

syeo
Community Novice

Perfect:)

kfortin
Community Novice

Kona, thank you.

We would also like the same feature: to let students review their choices post-quiz, without any indication of which ones were wrong (which, by inference, would let them know which of their choices were correct). 

This is especially important if the students cannot all take the quiz at the same time, as some quiz-takers would have access to most of the answer key before everyone had taken the quiz.