Quiz Statistics: IP Addresses

(2)
When viewing quiz statistics for submissions, it would be helpful to include the student's IP address when taking the quiz. This allows us to determine whether or not academic integrity violations have been committed when there is suspicious behavior on a quiz.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

27 Comments
kona
Community Champion

@stevier ​, I completely agree! This information is available on the admin side of things via page view's, but it's sorted by student (and ALL of their page views) so it's not easy to check a class and see if any are taking the quiz from the same IP address. I'd definitely vote for this one and help promote it!!

waz107
Community Contributor

I agree as well! This is a feature that I use very often in ANGEL currently.  Earlier this semester I was able to identify two students in my online course who were taking an assessment together because they were logged on at the same time on the same IP address.

kona
Community Champion

We also used this all the time when we were on Angel! In Canvas we start by looking for quizzes that were submitted around the same time and then pull up the page view logs to see if their IP addresses are the same. It's clunky, not perfect (I'm sure we miss some), but it does work.

waz107
Community Contributor

Is this something that course instructors have access to?  From looking at some of the other question/answer threads, it seems like this is only available to administrators.

kona
Community Champion

Ah, yes, sorry! It is only available to admins, which is another negative. Smiley Sad

It was nice when faculty could easily do this themselves, we now have to do it for them.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

buellj
Community Contributor

I can see this as a useful feature for diagnostic purposes. That said, the same IP address does not necessarily mean the same computer or location. Some internet providers assign Dynamic IP addresses for example; a Comcast customer might get an IP address assigned that is then used by another Comcast customer later that day. Network Address Translation can support dozens of physically separate computers using the same router.

stevier
Community Novice

Hi John--yes, we know this, but our computer labs have designated IP addresses--and these are mapped. Combine that with an ability to know who rooms with whom, and we're able to locate most academic integrity issues pretty easily.

dspiel
Community Participant

Very much needed.

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

I've caught cheating through analyzing the page view .csv download, starting with the IP and corroborating with browser, OS and time information. But since the teacher role doesn't have access to this information it would be nice to include in a place where teachers can access it.

acr181
Community Novice

Love this idea. I'd suggest moving it a bit further forward in terms of functionality, however - how about Canvas providing the ability in the Analytics page to review any instances in which two or more users have used the same IP address. Instead of manually searching, this is an easy matching problem, right?

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Canvas Friends,

When we make updates to the Quiz Logs and Reports in the Modern Quizzing Engine , we will likely add this feature.  Please stay tuned for more as we start this major project.

Jason

TheresMore.jpg

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Woo Hoo!

kona
Community Champion

That would be AMAZING!! This is a much missed (and was much used) feature!

akskl
Community Member

Hey Stefanie,

While computer labs may have designated IP addresses, I know for sure that my teachers often assign quizzes for home, and IP addresses at home are generally not static IPs.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

I have just fielded the third request this semester from instructors who want to know which students were in the classroom when taking an online quiz and which were not.  I really look forward to IP addresses being readily available to instructors - looking up students one at a time and downloading the csv page view file is a long task for an admin!!  I hope this modern quiz engine is released soon.

Does anyone know if you can download the page view files for all students in a class at once?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

rdalhoff
Community Novice

We also would like to see the IP address added to quiz logs like the quiz_submission_fact or quiz_submission_dim.  Our testing centers want to verify if a test was taken in the correct location.

jbrady2
Community Champion

I know I am coming to this discussion late, but, not being an internet protocol expert, I am wondering how the use of a VPN or taking a quiz through the Canvas app on a mobile device over cellular service instead of wi-fi might affect this request?

lspeterm
Community Novice

Has this made it beyond the product radar? This was a feature in Moodle for quizzes that I used regularly to ensure that students weren't taking the quiz outside of class. I use passwords to protect quizzes somewhat, but students can share those easily. This needs to be an instructor accessible feature, not just for admins.