[New Quizzes] Quiz and Item analysis needs to be faster

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The new quizzes feature needs to have faster responses for the quiz and item analysis tool.  In the classic version, it computes in live time which allows faculty to begin analyzing the quiz right away.  Having to wait 24 hours (and in my experience longer than 24 hours), it delays our ability to post grades for the students in a timely manner.  Additionally, during midterms and finals weeks we often don't have 24 hours to wait to finalize grades as they have to be reported right away.  

Added to Theme

38 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

amyslack
Community Participant

I completely agree. I support my school of about 150 teachers and during midterms they were suppose to analyze the data due a PLC meeting following midterms and non of them could access this data. It was extremely frustrating and I felt bad I had pushed them to start using New Quizzes more. This among some other quirks make New Quizzes a hard sell for our teachers. 

sliston
Community Novice

I also agree with the above comments. I appreciate how the original version stated that it would take up to 24 hours, however, the analysis was done in real time. This meant I was able to see the data in a few minutes in order to evaluate the validity of the exam questions. I completely agree with amyslack with waiting multiple days in order to complete the analysis and see the results will be very frustrating and makes the new version a hard sell. How can this be resolved? What is Canvas's plan to incorporate the strengths of the previous versions in the "new & improved" version of Quizzes?

lhodges1
Community Member

I love many of the features in New Quizzes, but my students are constantly complaining that it takes over 24 hours to get their grades.  This absolutely needs to be fixed.  Since I'm the only instructor in my area that uses New Quizzes, I'm sure this is going to hurt my end of course evaluations.

NatalieIbendahl
Community Novice

Agreed. The delayed test reports are hampering my ability to respond to students with test results in a timely manner. Without test question data it is difficult to address student concerns about individual questions. 

RebeccaMcElhose
Community Novice

We depend on the test results to be given in a timely manner.  A lot of times, our content is built on material that is already learned, we need to understand any deficiencies in a timely manner so that we are able to address any issues.

LisaR
Community Member

The ability to view the Item analysis following an exam needs to be much faster for instructors to be able to review test information and examine questions for issues such as miskey or unclear content. Item Analysis enables us to determine quickly and accurately which questions may need review. Without it, we are forced to use speedgrader and go through each students tests separately to figure out on our own which questions may need review. Students provide negative feedback on evaluations regarding the time we take to return grades and there are times, as others have stated, when we simply do not have this time available such as at the end of the term. 

I am currently at 6 hours waiting on a 30 question exam taken by 20 students and don't expect to see anything for at least another 8-10 hours. Then it only comes though in sections. You have to keep checking back before you can see all questions.

It was not like this a year ago. It originally took about 2-3 hours when I first began using New Quizzes. It has gotten increasingly worse. I don't understand why the previous quiz engine could do it as well other LMS but New Quizzes can not. Even the ability to simply grade by question would be a help since I can't view an item analysis until the next day.

KCStrieker
Community Novice

I was very excited for the change to LMS we went to in the last year. Especially with all of the technology adaptions that had to occur for blended learning.  I loved my prior test analysis we had on another LMS system because I was able to get feedback right away and weed through the questions that caused no problems.  When I was in school I wanted grades as soon as possible. Especially in a very competitive program.  This has hindered me from wanting to wait for the analysis for my students.  They spend so much of their time preparing for the exam I do not want to penalize them because of my grading system.  I have been spending quite a bit of time in the speed grader reviewing all the exams of my students to see problem areas because I do not believe they should wait for their grades that long.  With this said, I believe it is taking away from adequate time I could be using to be productive in another area to foster educating my adult learners.  At this time I do like so much about Canvas, but this really is an area I wish that could be fixed (not only for the benefit of instructors, but also the students)

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

There's a similar conversation about a faster turnaround time for the Quiz and Item Analysis data over here: New Quizzes Analytics submitted by @hrowsey1 . I posted in that one since it was newer. I'm hoping we can consolidate this feature idea so it gets more momentum. Don't you agree @MattHanes ?

GrayWarhog
Community Member

This meant I was able to see the data in a few minutes in order to evaluate the validity of the exam questions. I completely agree with amyslack with waiting multiple days in order to complete the analysis and see the results will be very frustrating and makes the new version a hard sell.

DG Customer First