[New Quizzes] Quiz and Item analysis needs to be faster

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The new quizzes feature needs to have faster responses for the quiz and item analysis tool.  In the classic version, it computes in live time which allows faculty to begin analyzing the quiz right away.  Having to wait 24 hours (and in my experience longer than 24 hours), it delays our ability to post grades for the students in a timely manner.  Additionally, during midterms and finals weeks we often don't have 24 hours to wait to finalize grades as they have to be reported right away.  

Added to Theme

38 Comments
TammyLiepe
Community Member

Can anyone from Canvas on the back end answer these concerns?

LisaR
Community Member

Currently 23 hours waiting for an item analysis on a 20 question multiple choice quiz from yesterday morning and have absolutely nothing in the report section yet.

I agree that it would be nice to hear from Canvas on this issue. 

dkahle
Community Member

I use "Quiz Statistics" in Classic Quizzes every day as a formative assessment. I can quickly see what percent of my class understood the overall concept and which individual questions they understood or need more help on.

I tried doing the same thing in New Quizzes - Build - Reports - Quiz and Item Analysis. The quiz statistics were not available immediately. It took overnight until I could see the report. This defeats my purpose of giving them immediate feedback beyond just an answer but to know whether I need to reteach a concept before moving on.

I am sad that Classic Quizzes must retire. Please make the Quiz and Item Analysis immediate for New Quizzes.

JenniferHubbell
Community Novice

Hi, I'm using New Quizzes, and it's been frustrating that no Reports or Quiz & Item Analysis will generate immediately.  Right now it takes 24 hours to generate.  I like to give my students immediate feedback because I think that reinforces their learning the best.  The delay in creating Quiz & Item analysis reports prevents me from checking out results before posting -- just to see if I need to re-grade any question in particular.  So, I can either immediately release a potentially faulty quiz, or make students wait a day+ to see their scores.  It thought the beauty of an online platform like this was immediate feedback.  I don't need a fancy report with graphs and charts.  Just a really quick table of results would be helpful immediately.  Thank you for considering this.

c_carrillo1
Community Participant

Item Analysis needs to be live.  Instructors need immediate access to this information in order to grade students properly.

lwri
Community Member

If I could get quiz results immediately I would be so happy.

c_waterbury
Community Explorer

Timely feedback is essential. Having to wait 24 hours to see item analysis is unacceptable. Also, does this mean quiz data is also 24 hours old? Before faculty can more to new quizzes, item analysis needs to be live. 

JesCaron
Community Member

Having worked with numerous faculty in the past who use formative quizzing as a tool to inform Just-in-Time teaching, I can say that a 24 hour delay would be a serious detriment to their workflow.  While this may be a singular use case example, there are negative impacts in other situations as well - from the instructor who is trying to accomplish work in a more immediate fashion to the student who is looking to target studying of materials for the next quiz or exam (they need timely feedback in order to do this).  This feels like a step back from the current functionality and not one would be expected from a "new" tool. Item Analysis needs to be much closer to real time (not delayed by 24 hours) in order to best serve the needs of users.

bernhard_lohkam
Community Participant

Absolute must. We need to be able to communicate the results interactively with students. Classic can do it and to be able to replace this New Quiz needs to provide instant feedback just as Classic. There is no reason to take this long... Every phone can do these calculations in seconds.

For completeness, there is another similar topic New Quiz Analytics . A shame that this (as other) important points get "diluted" by having multiple entries. Is there a way to merge these?

hwesp
Community Explorer

Adding my voice - this definitely needs to be faster. Delayed data means delayed feedback to students about commonly missed questions and corrective steps to their learning.  I'd love for it to be live but could even settle for 1-4 hours so at least it is the same day as I graded tests.