[New Quizzes] Quiz and Item analysis needs to be faster

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The new quizzes feature needs to have faster responses for the quiz and item analysis tool.  In the classic version, it computes in live time which allows faculty to begin analyzing the quiz right away.  Having to wait 24 hours (and in my experience longer than 24 hours), it delays our ability to post grades for the students in a timely manner.  Additionally, during midterms and finals weeks we often don't have 24 hours to wait to finalize grades as they have to be reported right away.  

Added to Theme

38 Comments
The_Viking
Community Participant

On the 2 year anniversary of this post, I'd like to say that this really needs some attention. Here I am waiting for my Item Analysis to update after grading a quiz for 20 students and who knows when it will be done.  The processing power to update the statistics should be minimal given today's technology standards.  I'm really hoping I don't have to come back and make another post on the 3 year anniversary of this issue. 

Laura_G
Community Member

100% agree. There is no reason that this hasn't been fixed by now. I don't understand why Canvas even created New Quizzes. Just upgrade the features that you want in old quizzes. The fact that it's an external tool whereas Old Quizzes is not is also just weird. I used a New Quiz to create a Poll and here I am not able to access the poll results because there's no Report yet. 

PegChecchi
Community Explorer

Hello,

I've had several calls from faculty members who are frustrated with this. It's very disheartening to have to tell them that "yeah, new quizzes takes this long..." when everything else in our world is almost instantaneous. Can you please implement some boost so that reports can be live and in real time? Thanks! peg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the 

Canvas Release Notes (2023-09-16) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

GrantRoberts25
Community Member
Problem statement:

In New Quizzes, I would like to see more immediate data before the due date of hte quiz. For example, in Classic Quizzes, I can immediately look at the results of the quiz and see how many students got a particular question right or wrong. If I am teaching 3 sections on two different days (A&B days), I have to wait until the test due date before I can analyze data. This is too late!

Proposed solution:

Allow me to see itemized question data before the due date of the quiz. This feature is available in Classic Quizzes. Why? So I can immediately see what I didn't teach very well and talk about it with the class immediately without having to wait a day or two, or perhaps an entire weekend before that data is available. This would make quizzes a more effective teaching tool. Data drives instruction!

User role(s):

instructor

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-09-16)