Quiz grades as percentages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

"I would like to have a QUIZ OPTION to record quiz scores as a percentage in the grade book rather than a score out of possible points. I understand that the assignment group percentages are calculated based on total points. Therefore, each quiz has to have the same number of points if you want each quiz to be weighted equally in the assignment group percentage for quizzes. I want to have the content and learning outcomes for a module determine the number of questions in a quiz rather than having to add or subtract questions just so the point totals are equal. I also want the assignments in a module to have the same relative value in the module score.

Most non-quiz graded assignments in groups are graded by the same rubric, so they tend to have the same value. However, for maximum flexibility, it would be nice to have a RUBRIC OPTION to record the score as a percentage too. Then you could use rubrics with different point totals that would still have the same value.

You have done a nice job with the weighted averages for assignment groups, but they fall short if you really want to user-friendly and outcome-driven. Alternatively, give us the ability to calculate our own percentages."

My comment on 10/21/2014: We are currently implementing Canvas and this is one of the first types of feedback I received from early users . . .

Original thread:

Quiz and Rubric Option to Record Scores as Percentages : Help Center

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
17 Comments
kjl5881
Community Member

It seems this was addressed in 2016, but am I correct that this is still not an option as of September 2020 on Canvas?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kjl5881  This idea was completed in 2018 with the general release of New Quizzes, which allows quiz scores to be calculated as percentages. Our developers are not developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation. 

kjl5881
Community Member

@Stef_retired Thank you for the update!  Where in Canvas can I find 'New Quizzes'?  I don't see it under Navigation, only 'Quizzes.'

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kjl5881  Depending on whether your school has enabled the New Quizzes tool, you can enable it in the Feature Options section of the Settings tab for a course. If you don't find that option, please reach out to your school's Canvas admin for guidance on the availability of New Quizzes at your school. It's distinct from Classic Quizzes, so I recommend first reading through the resources in the New Quizzes User Group to learn more about the new quizzing engine's features.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed