[New Quizzes] Allow partial credit for fill-in-the-blank questions

This is a really helpful feature for language teachers, perhaps others. I've seen this suggested for multiple choice, but not for fill-ins.

I teach Spanish; we rely heavily on fill-in-the blanks. It would be nice if we could give partial credit for missing accent marks or tildes. For example, on a days of the week quiz, the student has to write miércoles in the blank:

93799_Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.18.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.18.00 PM.png

But what if I want to give half credit for "miercoles", with the missing accent mark? I know that several students will fail to put the accent mark. As it is now, my choices are to:

a) go through and hand-grade each of the question #1s, giving them half a point.

b) add miercoles (no accent) as an additional answer, for full credit (no language teacher would want to do this!)

c) take the all-or-nothing stance and not allow credit for missing accent marks.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to do this?

miércoles - 1 point

miercoles - .5            (or 50%)

As a language teacher, there are lots of times in which I'd like to offer partial credit, and I'm sure others could benefit from it as well. It's not unheard of in the world of learning platforms!

You could also do a predictable WRONG answer with this, giving 0% credit and giving a reason for it being wrong, if this capability were written in.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

34 Comments
curtain
Community Participant

We've passed 100 so I am hoping for a comment from Canvas here soon!

atduong102
Community Novice

This would be awesome. Teachers could spend less time grading and get quizzes back faster to their students. Not only would this help language teachers, it could help also help other teachers like math teachers who want to give half credit for forgetting a negative sign.

cwendt
Community Champion

Maybe, maybe, chicken gravy . . . the "gathering info" label is making me very excited!

cwendt
Community Champion

Thank you, everyone, who supported the idea!

Also, cheap plug here. You know how all of the boxes look the same at the top of Speedgrader? How about RED BOXES for the incorrect ones? That way, you don't have to scroll all the way down to find the ones that a student missed.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello, Canvas Family!

We want to implement partial credit across all of the quizzes tool.  We are exploring a series of extensive improvements to the quizzes toolset, which includes this idea and much more. I know we won't be able to deploy this idea in the next six months; however, be assured we've listened and want to implement this in the not-too-distant future.

Kind regards,

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the exciting news Jason.

Community members can follow the larger project at Modern Quizzing Engine

cwendt
Community Champion

Thank you, Deactivated user​! That's wonderful news.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

tsawicki
Community Novice

I really love this idea as a science teacher.  Currently I avoid automated quizzing for several areas because I can't give partial credit in canvas for answers that are close enough to demonstrate understanding but are not spelled or punctuated perfectly (in science spelling and punctuation are often a secondary consideration; sorry to all you language teacher out there). 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.