Quizzes.Next: Equation Answer Option on Quizzes

(5)

I want my students to be able to enter an equation as an answer on quizzes.  Numerical answers are useful at times, but I need my math students to be able to enter fractions, exponents, radicals, etc. as an answer.  If I have the option of inserting a math equation into my question, my students should be able to do so when they answer.

21 Comments
marakina_allen
Community Novice

I would love to know how to do this as well.

blangston
Community Participant

I have been asking and waiting for this feature for 3 years. Not sure why it hasn't happened yet. I have been using a website called ducksoup.us which allows students to answers questions using math editor for fill in the blank and I can type the answers using math editor. I have given my students the option of using Canvas or Ducksoup and they prefer ducksoup because it is so much more user friendly. 

RobDitto
Community Champion

In the current Quizzes tool it's possible for students to include equations in the answer to an essay question. For which other question types are people voting/commenting here seeking equations as answers?

blangston
Community Participant

yes but teachers still have to go back and grade the work even if the answer is numerical. If someone was able to create an esheet webbased program that allows math editor for an answer box and it is free, why can't Canvas offer if districts are paying for it?

humpherysmail
Community Novice

I would also like the option of including equation formatting in multiple choice answer options, fill-in-the-blank, short answer, etc.  Right now the only way student can use the equation editor is for essay answers, and they have to be manually graded.  This is extremely disappointing for math teachers!

kevinbu
Community Novice

As Heather stated the only existing methods require manual grading.  In addition, essay question format is big and clunky when the expect answer is one single equation.

lglen
Community Explorer

Well I got all excited about THAT (ducksoup.us) until I realized I couldn't make more than one a month without paying for it. I'm happy to pay for something I know I'll use, but I don't know if I'm going to like it based on one e-sheet a MONTH.

Sheesh.

lglen
Community Explorer

Many of us in Washington State use WAMAP, which is specifically for math, and it IS free. Outside WA you can use its sister interface, iMathAS, which is also free. It's an extra step, but I'm told that WAMAP is integrable into Canvas; I would wager that iMathAS is as well...

fernando_vega-c
Community Member

I agree 100% with Heather. Even the new QUIZZES.NEXT lacks of this improvement. If you did it for Multiple Choice and Multiple Answers, I don't understand why you can't do it for all question types....

benjones
Community Novice

This feature would be so very helpful.

kristen_reuter
Community Novice

I think the math equation editor should be able to be used by a student at any place where they can type text.  

victoria_criswe
Community Novice

This needs to be added. I don't understand how a "numerical answer" option only includes integers and decimals. If you teacher any higher level of math, you don't use decimals. You use fractions and roots for the majority of our numerical answers. I was creating a quiz and using numerical responses, and then I came to the number 1/3. I do not want my students to put in a decimal approximation for 1/3. They should be able to type in the exact answer. 

Canvas should be supporting ALL content! Not just words and basic elementary numbers. 

dplaut
Community Member

This would be so helpful!  Please. 

alan_downing
Community Member

I agree. This needs to be added. 

JAMINSWIFT
Community Member

YES!!!! Why can we use an equation editor to write the questions, but students can't use it to answer the questions.  I want to use Canvas more, but I cannot justify using this as a reliable tool for an Algebra 2 class 😞

zendejas
Community Novice

This feature is desperately needed for math teachers.  Without such a feature it is nearly impossible to create any good math assignments or assessments.

LisaRobertsRP
Community Novice

I completely agree!! Students need to be able to use equation editors in their responses for math classes. Just giving a numerical value doesn't always give the answer we are looking for.

telmer
Community Novice

AGREED!  Canvas has many great features - unless you are a high school math teacher.  Students need the ability to enter values other than integers. Canvas is not my tool of choice because students are unable to input mathematical expressions.  Please consider adding an equation editor for students.  

Lstreicher
Community Novice

I also completely agree. An equation editor available for students would be a big improvement. I've also been frustrated trying to include different types of questions because even as a teacher I can't type multiple choice answers or matching answers with an equation editor. Our standardized tests use multiple formats and I can't prepare them for those formats using Canvas because I don't have access to the math symbols and tools I need.

dplaut
Community Member

Hello?!  Is anyone from Canvas listening?  We'd love ot hear from you!!!