cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quizzes.Next: Equation Answer Option on Quizzes

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

Quizzes.Next: Equation Answer Option on Quizzes

I want my students to be able to enter an equation as an answer on quizzes.  Numerical answers are useful at times, but I need my math students to be able to enter fractions, exponents, radicals, etc. as an answer.  If I have the option of inserting a math equation into my question, my students should be able to do so when they answer.

12 Comments
Community Member

I would love to know how to do this as well.

Community Member

I have been asking and waiting for this feature for 3 years. Not sure why it hasn't happened yet. I have been using a website called ducksoup.us which allows students to answers questions using math editor for fill in the blank and I can type the answers using math editor. I have given my students the option of using Canvas or Ducksoup and they prefer ducksoup because it is so much more user friendly. 

Learner II

In the current Quizzes tool it's possible for students to include equations in the answer to an essay question. For which other question types are people voting/commenting here seeking equations as answers?

Community Member

yes but teachers still have to go back and grade the work even if the answer is numerical. If someone was able to create an esheet webbased program that allows math editor for an answer box and it is free, why can't Canvas offer if districts are paying for it?

Community Member

I would also like the option of including equation formatting in multiple choice answer options, fill-in-the-blank, short answer, etc.  Right now the only way student can use the equation editor is for essay answers, and they have to be manually graded.  This is extremely disappointing for math teachers!

Community Member

As Heather stated the only existing methods require manual grading.  In addition, essay question format is big and clunky when the expect answer is one single equation.

Community Member

Well I got all excited about THAT (ducksoup.us) until I realized I couldn't make more than one a month without paying for it. I'm happy to pay for something I know I'll use, but I don't know if I'm going to like it based on one e-sheet a MONTH.

Sheesh.

Community Member

Many of us in Washington State use WAMAP, which is specifically for math, and it IS free. Outside WA you can use its sister interface, iMathAS, which is also free. It's an extra step, but I'm told that WAMAP is integrable into Canvas; I would wager that iMathAS is as well...

Surveyor II

I agree 100% with Heather. Even the new QUIZZES.NEXT lacks of this improvement. If you did it for Multiple Choice and Multiple Answers, I don't understand why you can't do it for all question types....

Community Member

This feature would be so very helpful.