Quizzes.Next: Options for quiz response settings

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It's possible this has been addressed in the new Quizzes.Next feature, but there aren't any guides I can find mentioning any expansion of the quiz response settings in the new quizzes feature and I haven't found these settings myself either. With the current version of quizzes, the settings in the image directly below the quiz should indicate it is locked down so students shouldn't be able to figure out what the correct answers are until May 17th at 12:00 am

276382_Quiz_Feedback.png

However, with the setting above students can see that they scored full points on a question and what their answer was. This is essentially the same thing as showing them that they chose the correct answer, since it shows them how many points the question is out of and what they scored [1] in addition to what answer they chose [2].

276381_Quiz_Feedback.png

The default should be if an instructor doesn't want students to see the correct answers until a certain time, students shouldn't be able to see what they scored on a question and see what answer option they provided on a question. I can see this sabotaging quizzes that have more than one attempt, since students will be able to go back into the first attempt and pull out which questions they received credit for.

Ultimately the concern here is it has forced instructors into a binary choice. Either they choose the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" option and provide more information than they are comfortable showing students OR they leave that option unchecked and leave their students out in the dark out of concern for the integrity of their questions. If Canvas quizzes can have a second feedback date layer offering more security to their questions, more instructors will be able to open up different layers of their quiz at different times to provide the best learning experience for their students.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the:

13 Comments
kmallette
Community Participant

Just to add to my initial post, I think having these options would really help:

-Let students see their quiz responses (offer a time range when students can see their quiz responses at this level)

-Score per question (whether students can see what score they received per question, as a checkbox)

-All answers (whether students can see what answer options were for all questions)

-Correct answers (this can remain as it already exists)

-Submitted answers (which answer the student gave)

I'm aware of these archived feature options as well:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1356 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1896 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1906 

I would love to get your feedback on these questions release options everyone!

P.S. I hope you all enjoyed the engaging questions I used in my second screenshot Smiley Happy

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  Knox,

First off; this feature idea submission was a joy to read - very well documented and well supported.  FWIW; the questions are engaging.  Smiley Happy 

Options for showing vs hiding quiz results and feedback in Quizzes.Next is an identified development target as it will contribute to the goal of feature parity.  I cannot share an exact timeline for when this will happen but you can find more info in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes.  Because we will not be developing the previous quiz engine further, I'll go ahead and archive this idea.  That all being said, thank you for going to the trouble of documenting this request.  We realize this is that will benefit many users and are working to get it in production.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kmallette ‌, we wound up re-re-visiting this, and decided to re-re-open it. Smiley Happy (We added Quizzes.Next to the idea title.)

Correct answer release settings is an element in the move to solution parity as listed in this living document: Quizzes.Next Feature Comparison  (refer to the Settings section).

kmallette
Community Participant

Hi stefaniesanders‌, thank you for the help! Smiley Happy I look forward to those changes being made, it's good to see it's already working it's way towards the development stage.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Please take a look at the Canvas Release Notes (2018-10-06): Quizzes.Next section for partial completion of this idea.

caryn
Community Member

Hi  @kmallette ‌,

Great minds... I just submitted something similar as a feature request. Here's what I originally submitted - it aligns nicely with your comments: 

As an instructor, I want to configure a quiz so students can see only their responses after submitting a quiz (i.e. without an indication of correct/incorrect), so that I can more closely tailor how results are released. 

There are some instances where I want students to be able to see what they submitted, without letting them know where their answers were correct or incorrect. This is definitely closer to what students experience in physical class meetings (i.e. if I finish a quiz early, I don't get to know where I was wrong/right - I just have to wait for the rest of the class). 

Here are a couple of use cases / justifications: 

• This helps with academic honesty, because students no longer have the temptation to share their results with others who have not yet taken the quiz (thus giving them more information about how to succeed). 
  • I want to look at the analytics of a quiz question before determining how to provide feedback (i.e. perhaps I see that a vast majority of students answered one way, and I realize that I should change the correct answer prior to releasing results). 
  • I want to give students some time after taking the quiz to think about the contents, and hopefully formulate enhanced understanding. 

I'm sure there are others. Honestly, when instructors check the box next to "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses..." they are anticipating this behavior (i.e. no indication of correct/incorrect). 

It seems like the development in Quizzes.Next on 2018-10-06 actually lines up more with the original quizzes functionality than these suggestions... What do you think?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the:

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@kmallette  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @caryn  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

snugent
Community Champion

I appreciate the new options for quiz results but I don't feel this is complete. I want instructors to be able to enter a time frame when students can see the results. This is really important because currently they will have to do this manually on each quiz. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni