Quizzes.Next: Searchable Item Banks and Taggable Quiz Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Hello Canvas Peeps,

We are excited about the attention that’s been paid to Canvas Quizzes the past couple years and would love to see a couple functions added. The issue is that as Questions Banks grow in size and complexity, it becomes increasingly difficulty to manage questions within these banks (some with thousands of questions.) To address this issue, it’d be awesome if an instructor possessed the following:

1.    The ability to tag individual quiz questions with multiple tags

2.    The ability to search question banks for these tags and/or conduct full-text keyword searches

It’d also be sweet if Canvas remembered the tags that you’d used previously, you know, like the Canvas communities do! The current solution of writing detailed question titles isn’t adequate when managing question banks that contain large quantities of questions.

Thanks for checking out this feature request!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16250-canvas-release-notes-2019-03-30 .

20 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@a1051490 , here's a link to the Canvas Studio‌ priority page for Priority: Quizzes.Next , and Extra Credit: The Canvas Blog has additional details on the timeline.

rlmartin
Community Novice

I am new to Canvas and have just migrated several Blackboard courses each with many question banks and multiple quizzes and exams. The quiz tool for Canvas seems awkward, to say the least.  I was not surprised, when quiz questions did not remained linked to databanks after the migration In Blackboard.  But was very disappointed to discover does not link questions selected for quizzes to a database, but rather just makes a copy of it.  This seems to defeat the purpose of a question database.

In addition, there is no easy way to find questions from a question database because there is no search function. In Blackboard, if I want T/F questions related to cholesterol, I could limit my search by which question databank I wanted to search, the type of question and to questions with the word "cholesterol" in the question or an answer option. 

Using the "Control F" options to find a term was recommended, but given Canvas only displays about 20 questions at a time this is of limited usefulness. 

Tags are okay, but I believe the question databanks need to be searchable beyond having instructors adding tags.  They need to be organized by type and searchable with terms, not just tags.

a1051490
Community Novice

We really need this feature, currently have hundreds of questions that can't be tagged or searched making it really difficult to reuse them effectively.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

christiand
Community Explorer

This is a request from WMU-Cooley Law School as well.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@noah  Thank You for submitting this idea, as well as, lse224 Thank You ,  @taylora  Thank You ,  @a1051490  Thank You ,  @RebeccaMoulder  Thank You ,  @scain  Thank You , lynnb Thank You ,  @rlmartin  Thank You  &  @christiand  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas.

christiand
Community Explorer

Thanks for the update here Renee! 

lph
Community Champion

Hi,

I see tags can be added when the question is in an item bank but don’t see a way to create or add a tag when the question is in a migrated quiz. Am I not seeing the option or is it only available when in banks?

309317_A279B481-76AE-44CB-B152-664F22D8EDA9.jpeg

Sorry to use an image with a different purpose and arrows for pointing to other features.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed