Quizzes.Next: Searchable Item Banks and Taggable Quiz Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Hello Canvas Peeps,

We are excited about the attention that’s been paid to Canvas Quizzes the past couple years and would love to see a couple functions added. The issue is that as Questions Banks grow in size and complexity, it becomes increasingly difficulty to manage questions within these banks (some with thousands of questions.) To address this issue, it’d be awesome if an instructor possessed the following:

1.    The ability to tag individual quiz questions with multiple tags

2.    The ability to search question banks for these tags and/or conduct full-text keyword searches

It’d also be sweet if Canvas remembered the tags that you’d used previously, you know, like the Canvas communities do! The current solution of writing detailed question titles isn’t adequate when managing question banks that contain large quantities of questions.

Thanks for checking out this feature request!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16250-canvas-release-notes-2019-03-30 .

20 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

lse224
Community Champion

This is such a needed feature. I was shocked when I saw the last iteration only got three votes. Surely more schools are using question banks and running into these issues. There was *just* a discussion on this topic two weeks ago and the answer marked correct involved getting Respondus to analyze and make changes because it's easier to manage questions that way. It seems that we should be able to do this IN Canvas instead of having to use/pay for additional resources. Let's push this through!

Finding Questions / Organizing Question Banks

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

taylora
Community Member

I'd like to be able to tag questions to SLOs.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Friends,

I hope this message finds you well. We are already considering this for our Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​, but I do not have a timeline. Stay tuned for more details.

Jason

RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

I wish I could vote up this feature more than once!

scain
Community Contributor

This sounds awesome! I'd like to add that having a default tag of the question type, and the ability to use these tags to filter which questions get used in a group would be killer features for my purposes.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

lynnb
Community Explorer

This would be extremely useful. We have a professor who is in the process of moving over to Canvas and must manage 567 question banks for a course that uses many quizzes and outcomes. He is finding it unbelievable cumbersome to set up the quizzes and navigating through the question banks without any way to better manage them. Searching and tagging would help out greatly, as he only uses specific banks for specific modules in his course.

a1051490
Community Novice

Hi Jason, I'm interested in what is planned for the modern quizzing engine, but your link is not working for me, where is the info on the new quizzing engine and is there a timeline yet?