Quizzes.Next should work with Lockdown Browser or Proctorio

(9)
Comments from Instructure

We're keeping this idea in On Beta status to reflect that there are two separate requests. Specifically, requests for Lockdown Browser and Proctorio are combined in the idea description, and we have completed the Lockdown Browser request.

Quizzes.Next needs to allow us to require Lockdown Browser or Proctorio to take the Quiz we make in that feature. I can't use this feature without either. 

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26937-canvas-release-notes-2020-07-18 

50 Comments
james_trueman
Community Contributor

Interesting that the request to add Proctorio resulted in adding Respondus - or is there another community post?

At the end of the day - there are a number of Remote Proctoring services - each with their own USP, pricing model, or feature set.  Making it viable and quick for all of them to integrate should have been the goal - rather than targetting one provider. On reflection, this process seems to have gone against one of Instructure's primary mantras - 'Build your own awesome' - because here it is 'Build your own awesome (as long as you use Responsdus)'.

For example, whilst no doubt Respondus is a good fit for some, (as far as we can tell) it does not support Live Proctoring or tests that include scrap paper and/or Test elements on paper. For various reasons, these are necessary requirements.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks,  @james_trueman ‌; it is our plan to keep this idea open for further discussion.

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

Any more specific instructions on this? Because I have looked around their website, I've rooted around in Canvas, and I cannot figure out how to use the lockdown browser with the new quizzes.

Cassie

AmalShah
Community Participant

Same here. I can't figure out how New Quizzes links with Lockdown Browser.

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

It's not intuitive, that's for sure.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@arnold_cassie ‌ and  @AmalShah ‌:

We've updated the release notes to provide details about the Respondus Lockdown Browser integration in New Quizzes (scroll down to the bottom of the document).

AmalShah
Community Participant

Awesome - this helps a lot! Thanks, stefaniesanders‌!

christophe_bree
Community Participant

FYI: There are many problems with this at the moment.

1. Special characters (yes, even in 2021...)

When your student names have a so-called 'special character' in their name (e.g. éàè), and if they work on a Mac, the LockDownBrowser crashes.

(Respondus has created a fix for it, but apparently, the problem is the XML that is sent by Canvas.)

2. Questions of the type 'numeric'

When you have a New Quiz in a non-english course, then the decimal numbers are saved wrongly. (96,56 -with comma- is saved as 9656)

3. Submit

Often when students submit the last question, they don't continue to the completion page, but are stuck on that quiz. the submit button is then greyed out. They need to contact the teacher to check if their responses are submitted correctly.

BradMoser
Community Contributor

New Quizzes work with Respondus LockDown browser now! Yeah! 

tankovpa
Community Contributor

Our current frustration with Respondus is that New Quizzes do not work with it if you are running the Read & Write Extension.  As a K-12 school district, we have many students who use R&W as an accommodation. So teachers are not able to use New Quizzes if they want to utilize a lockdown browser. Adding to the challenge was that we worked to try and identify why Canvas quizzes were not working with the lockdown browser and after checking filter settings and checking published domains that needed to be whitelisted we finally submitted a ticket to Respondus. Finally, after submitting a screenshot they replied that it was a known issue that New Quizzes are not compatible with the Read & Write Extension. While it was good to know what the problem was, it was not in any of the documentation anywhere.

To say the situation has been frustrating is definitely an understatement.