cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quizzes: Prevent Cheating by Limiting Access to Quiz Only

Quizzes: Prevent Cheating by Limiting Access to Quiz Only

When a student is taking a password protected quiz, the student should not be allowed to browse other areas of Canvas. For example, the student may log in to Canvas on another tab or another electronic device (deliberate cheating). When the student logs in at the same time he/she is taking the password protected quiz, the additional logon should automatically route the student to the quiz only.
(1)
42 Comments
Community Member

I could see some potential issues with this.   One - lets say a student is kicked out of a quiz and just doesn't say anything.  The next class they go to the student wouldn't be able to use Canvas because it would redirect them back to a locked quiz. 

Two, it wouldn't really prevent cheating since they could just go to google or any other site and look up the answers. 

The best solution for this would be for Canvas to release a secure browser like Respondus or Safe Exam Browser.   Since it would compete with Respondus though which I believe might be a partner with Instructure I doubt they would do that.

Community Member

This is for tests taken at a testing center. Therefore, a password is set. What we want to prevent is that the student use the course material as reference.

Issue one: In a testing center setting a proctor enters the password when the student comes in. Therefore, the test is not taken randomly. However, the test will also expire. As soon as the test expire, the student should be able to go back in.

Issue two: The student could refer to practice tests and other reference materials in the course. The course material is the best reference and we would like to prevent access in testing centers by cheating.

Issue three: Lock down browsers do not work well on all platforms such as thin clients. Thin clients make very good testing computers and they are easy to lock down in many areas and they are very economical. In addition, lock down browsers do not work for courses in Canvas that links to other sites such as McGrawHill,, Aleks, Pearson, etc. We have several such courses testing in the testing center.

Community Member

Thanks for submitting this feature idea twaite@bruinmail.slcc.edu​ As Brandon mentioned there is currently a solution like this that one of our Certified Partner - Respondus​ offers. Have you had a chance to try their solution, specifically?

Nevertheless, I will move your idea forward so you and the rest of the community can begin voting for this feature to be "baked in" to Canvas as a core feature, on November 4th.

Community Member

One thing that canvas probably could do to help with test security would be to write a browser extension for the supported browsers that takes a screenshots randomly during a quiz, publishing them to a page for proctors, teachers, etc - and also to the quiz log for each student. 

Community Member

Jordan,

Respondus is the browser I've tested in our testing center. It specifically does not work when students are linked to other sites through Canvas. We have some tests this is the case. Respondus is also hard to implement on thin clients.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Tina:

We have been a Respondus site for several years now, and that is the one negative I have noticed - if a quiz item requires the students to view another website, Respondus cannot be configured to support that. This feature would be a great addition to the Respondus Lockdown Browser, and is something I have suggested to Nick Laboda on several occasions.

Community Member

Kelley,

It definitely would be a nice feature in Respondus. But I wonder if that would mean a major overhaul of their code. However, it is also a matter of cheating in general. Some students could try to open Canvas on their cell phones. The Canvas app is really nice and a convenient.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Tina:

Respondus Lockdown Browser now supports iPads, and permitting iPad use is one of the settings in the control panel (along with supporting screen readers). No android or phone settings yet, but suspect they are coming.

Community Member

Kelley,

Support for electronic devices is going to be great. We use tablet in certain area of testing. However, cell phone cheating is a real issue. When cheaters try to use their cell phone during a test, it makes it easier for them when the apps are readily available and easy to navigate. This is why is suggested this feature in the first place.

Community Member

It's been years since I had to go to a testing center - but in the ones i've attended it would be pretty hard to use a cell phone without getting caught.  Keeping kids from cheating with cell phones is 100% classroom management in my opinion.   You may be able to prevent them from going to another page in canvas, but you couldn't prevent them from googling or going to notes posted elsewhere.   

I know you've had issues with lockdown browser in your lab, but others needing this type of security could get by with lock down browser and the monitor tool from Respondus, which I believe takes pictures or video from the webcams while the students are testing.