Option to disable paste function on writing assignments

(1)

It would be a great option if we could disable the paste function in specific quizzes/ assignments (writing assignments). That way student would have to type (and therefore think in the content that they are presenting), and not just copy/paste answers.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @j1_fernandezdel  Welcome to the Canvas Community! We've opened this idea for voting. In the meantime, many schools use Respondus Lockdown Browser to disable students' ability to navigate away from quizzes; the lockdown browser is currently available for Old (Classic) Quizzes, and at this writing is on the near-term development timeline for New Quizzes.

j1_fernandezdel
Community Novice

In a normal classroom setting, I use Dyknow monitoring and blocking students from all sources but canvas during a test or quiz. However, on our new reality of Online instruction, where my students may not be able to connect at the same time to do a quiz, or to give students homework assignments, taking away the ability to copy/paste would be a great option. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

It is true that respondus and proctorio and probably several other programs will block copy and paste in quizzes.  However, some students use devices that are incompatible with those programs, and so they are unable to take online courses that require those restrictions.  That is a problem at the moment with all of our face-to-face courses transferred to online.  The more lockdown type functions that could be built into canvas (perhaps as a part of the mobile app) the more students would be able to participate without as much temptation to cheat.

GaryWaayers
Community Novice

Have found over the semesters that answers from students are copied and pasted from other sources. My school doesn't have the lockdown feature; however, lockdown or not it would seem that an OPTIONAL feature that would not allow a pasting of an answer in the Quizzes would greatly increase the integrity of the evaluation process.

BeccaBestul
Community Member

When students are taking a quiz, I REALLY wish there were a way to disable the "Ctrl+C" and "Ctrl+V" functions. I have caught students "saving" a digital review by pushing "Ctrl+C" before I use my district's system to block access to their materials, then simply pushing "Ctrl+V" in a short answer of the quiz... then using the review to cheat on the quiz before deleting it. I found an OK prevention method of this, but it's REALLY clunky.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.