Raise the 50-question question edit/preview cap for Question Banks

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Several of my users have asked for a way to easily edit and preview quiz questions when there are more than 50 in a question bank.

One instructor imports test banks with more than 50 questions into her courses. For example, she wants her tests to draw from a 55-question bank of multiple choice questions and a 100-question bank of fill-in-the-blank questions. Once in Canvas, if a question bank has fewer than 50 questions, she can preview/edit all of the questions at a glance. If a question bank has more than 50 questions, she has to click on each question individually.

All of these clicks can add up to a substantial use of time, especially since this instructor frequently finds errors in prefabricated test banks.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
23 Comments
BROEKERC
Community Novice

Thanks for submitting this Zach.  We just migrated to Canvas and this question comes up repeatedly from our faculty.  Faculty need to be able to easily view all of the quiz questions. 

ejackson
Community Champion

Yes! Please get this feature! I help many faculty with their quizzes and question banks in their Canvas courses, and when we need to review questions/answer choices for accuracy, if they have over 50 questions in there, it's extremely frustrating and time-consuming to have to click on each one individually to check for correct/incorrect information. Especially when it is near the very beginning or near the end of a semester, when everyone is in time-crunch mode!

chasalow
Community Novice

This is just one of many features that NEED to be added to the quiz facility. Selecting questions from a publisher's testbank is unwieldy at best in Canvas. There is no way to see the entire question or to identify the type of question one is adding to a quiz. Ideally I should be able to see the entire question and all the answers before I select them from a test bank to add to a quiz. I should also be able to filter questions by question type or search the contents of a test bank to find questions on a particular topic. Once in a quiz, there shouldn't be any limit to how many questions are in it to be able to see the entire question. For that matter, it would be nice to have a category called tests or exams, rather than calling everything a quiz.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

It is so important to be able to see/preview the details of all quiz and question bank questions on a scrollable page so they can easily be viewed for accuracy. It is too time consuming to have to open each question individually.

amixon
Community Member

If it makes you all feel any better, it used to be 25.... why there is a limit at all is beyond me.... voted for you!

cogden
Community Novice

Instead of raising the number of all preview why not create a button next to each question to preview it. So I can quickly browse through the questions and if one looks like the one I need can click the preview button and see it without having to click on the edit button.

mlewis23
Community Champion

It is very easy to get to the 50 question mark on an exam.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello friends,

As we look into planning for future feature enhancements, I will look into this for future planning and updates.

Kind regards,

Jason

jcartwri
Community Novice

Definitely need the ability to filter by question type, especially when trying to select questions from a publisher test bank with 500 - 1000 questions and question types ranging from Multiple choice, true/false, essay, and fill in the blank.

bwaters
Community Novice

This is something that needs to happen sooner than later.