Raise the 50-question question edit/preview cap for Question Banks

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Several of my users have asked for a way to easily edit and preview quiz questions when there are more than 50 in a question bank.

One instructor imports test banks with more than 50 questions into her courses. For example, she wants her tests to draw from a 55-question bank of multiple choice questions and a 100-question bank of fill-in-the-blank questions. Once in Canvas, if a question bank has fewer than 50 questions, she can preview/edit all of the questions at a glance. If a question bank has more than 50 questions, she has to click on each question individually.

All of these clicks can add up to a substantial use of time, especially since this instructor frequently finds errors in prefabricated test banks.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
23 Comments
khosscruz
Community Member

I agree!  In every assignment I create I always miss at least one question and almost all of my assignments have > 25 questions.  I have ~500 students and having to go back and manually fix that after they've completed the assignment is such a waste of time.  Auto-grade only works on multiple choice questions and, of course, I always managed to mess up the drop-downs or fill-in-the-blanks.

jim_picariello
Community Novice

We would like this feature too. 25 seems awfully arbitrary.

jbrady2
Community Champion

I would also like to see this feature in Canvas. I was recently working with a faculty member who was wanting to upload publisher quiz banks and then create chapter quizzes from those banks. However, she only wanted to include multiple choice questions, but each chapter quiz bank included at least five essay questions. After uploading the content, we navigated to the Manage Question Bank section of the course only to find that we had to either guess which questions, based upon the wording, might be the essay questions or click on edit to expand the question so that we could delete them. There was one question bank for each of the eighteen chapters in the book containing over 85 questions in each one. Being able to view the details of all questions by checking one box would have made the task much easier.

jbrady2
Community Champion

True. I had not even thought about this until I read your comment. Then I remembered how, in Blackboard, there was a preview of each question and the type was listed so that I could pick only those that I wanted depending upon the circumstance.

andrea2
Community Novice

I too would very much appreciate improvements to this feature.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

warons
Community Member

Ditto everything said above PLUS: give us the ability to "test drive" or "preview" the questions in a question bank by seeing them as the student/user will see them (i.e., by "taking the test") - since sometimes, when designing a "fill in the blank" or "multiple answer" question, it's hard to tell whether the student view will clearly indicate what information is required without seeing the student view of the question. Do this SOON. Urgently needed!

tiffany_maglasa
Community Novice

This is silly.... If the issue is processing speed, have the software only display 50 questions on each 'page' and then you have to hit 'next page' to see the next set of 50 questions and hit 'question details'

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature is now available through the new Quizzes LTI tool.  Find more information on the Quizzes LTI tool, and how to access it, at Quizzes LTI User Group 

The specific guide for this feature in the Quizzes LTI tool is How do I manage item banks in the Quizzes LTI? 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.