Randomly Filled Groups of Equal Number Limited to Students in the Same Section

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I would be great if one could use Canvas to generate randomly filled groups of equal number and at the same time limit to group membership to students in the same section. Current options are shown below. It would be useful to Require grou members to be in the same section EVEN IF self sign-up was not allowed but the Group Structure - split students into equal groups was selected.

157429_Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

18 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

@michelle_ciccar ​​, good news -- this functionality is here now:

Be aware that the feature really does try to balance, so make sure you set limits on group size and build sufficient groups. Without that, you can wind up with a small number of evenly balanced, but too large, groups -- see comments at that link for anecdotes.

michelle_ciccar
Community Novice

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (This is so very awesome!!!)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16)

Want to discuss the latest beta release in a synchronous group chat?  RSVP to Kristin Lundstrum's Beta Release (2017-01-16) Collaborative Chat, Wednesday, July 18.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @jacob1  for submitting this idea, as well as, macaulayl, carstens,  @lmd5 ,  @kmatson ,  @RobDitto , &  @michelle_cicca2  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

RobDitto
Community Champion

Unfortunately our institution just found that the version of this feature we tested successfully, which worked with limited group sizes, now will no longer run if any group size limits are specified.  As soon as I can I'll file a support case; the documentation doesn't mention this restriction.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed