Randomly assign group with minimum membership

0 Likes
(1)

I have 11 students and 8 lab stations. I want them to work in at least pairs, with 1  remaining group of 3.

People>Groups has a "randomly assign group members" and it spread the students across the 8 groups, which makes 5 groups of 1, and 3 groups of 2.

For 'n' students, 'm' minimum number of students/group, and 'z' groups, the number of groups we need to fill is:

z = n / m

The remaining students will be 'y', with y < m. Distribute the remaining y across the z groups. Every group will have a minimum of m and up to m-1 groups will have an extra person. I hope the math helps the implementation!

I could manually change the number of groups to 5 (4 pairs + 1 triple), but if someone has to remotely work due to covid-19, I want to have the framework to easily drop them into their own group. Additionally, the 8 groups for the entire semester presents consistency for the students and myself.

Thanks!

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

STEM_chad
Community Member
Author

Another way to think about this is:

If I have 8 groups, fill the first 5 groups with two people, and put the 1 remaining person into one of the groups.  The z=n/m part was generalizing in case other professors have a different number of groups and different desired number of students per group.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.