Re-take a course

0 Likes

Currently, for a student to re-take a course, the teacher must go through each graded quiz and assignment and either allow an additional attempt, assign it again, or make a copy and re-assign. The problem is that this is tedious and inefficient. It also overwrites the grades in the gradebook, when many teachers would rather have a separate records of separate course attempts. 

Even less ideal are the options of copying an entire course for one additional student, or creating a separate Canvas account (with separate email) for re-taking the course. 

We need a way to enable re-taking of a course that allows students to use the same account, doesn't force teachers to edit each graded assignment, and records the re-taking in a separate row in the gradebook. 

3 Comments
LindsayAbraham
Community Explorer

I'm imagining a box on the student's information page that I can click that enables a course re-take, where I then enter the name of the course. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@LindsayAbraham We've moved this idea forward for broader conversation. We note that many schools meet this need by concluding the original course (and sometimes also restricting students' access to it), copying the course, adjusting the due dates via the bulk adjust process, and enrolling the single student in it, thereby preserving the records in the original course without requiring the teacher to edit any of the assignments in the now-concluded course. In addition, many schools require the student to re-enroll in the next offering of the course.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.