ReCaptcha Option in Self Registration

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-09-23)

With the Self Registration turned on, we have found that it is very easy for fake accounts to be created by bots that are floating out in the wild. If there was the required use of a ReCaptcha within the account creation process, i believe this would help alleviate the issue.

Pete Kesselring

11 Comments
natacha_hes
Community Participant

Hi Paul, we are struggling with hundreds of fake accounts daily. Please share if you find a solution while we are waiting for Canvas to develop this. 

lftapper
Community Participant

We're having trouble keeping up with these fake bot accounts. We're getting takedown notices almost monthly now for the illegal content they are creating in ePortfolios. They're getting more sophisticated and we don't even see them in ePortfolio moderation anymore. Please enable recaptcha on the registration page!

dgrobani
Community Champion
aleisha_jade
Community Participant

We continue to have this problem, even after implementing ReCaptcha. Is anyone else still having problems?

dgrobani
Community Champion

Yes, we've had a couple hundred in the past few months.

aleisha_jade
Community Participant

@dgrobani Did you notice a decrease in the amount of bot accounts after implementing ReCaptcha? Or is it the same as before?

dgrobani
Community Champion

I haven't been paying close attention, but my impression is that it went down after ReCaptcha but then went up again.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Captcha can be required for Canvas Self Registration. This change helps administrators minimize spam creation within their accounts.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-09-23).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New