Reassign Assignment

0 Likes
(2)

I love the Reassign Assignment feature that seems to have just been added to Speed Grader. I wish it worked on all assignments, like Canvas Quizzes, or External Tool assignments like Kami or Actively Learn. Any reason this can't be done?

Tags (2)
12 Comments
BStutzman
Community Champion

I wish it also worked in the Canvas Teacher app.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@5277648119 Thanks for sharing this suggestion. The release notes state, "the Reassign Assignment button is not available for External Tools (LTI), on paper, and no submission assignments," so it's likely that it isn't possible to implement the Reassign functionality for external tool content providers, but we'll review this with our partnership team.

BStutzman
Community Champion

Is the teacher app considered an external tool?  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@BStutzman The Canvas Teacher app is not an external tool, but development on mobile is handled separately. If you're interested in seeing the reassign functionality added to Canvas Teacher, would you write it as a new idea? 

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

I love this feature too!

It seems to me that the only way a student can see that the assignment has been reassigned to him/her, is on his/her dashboard?
In the calendar, the assignment remains striked out with no flag or anything about the reassignment.
Also on the assignment page itself, a student sees the comment that the teacher posted, but there is no indication that he/she should redo the assignment.

Or am I missing something?

WillBillings34
Community Member

The button placement of this feature is dangerously close to the "submit comment" button!

There should be an "undo" button. In the meanwhile, how can I remove the reassignment after accidentally hitting this?

huic
Community Participant

I have just discovered the "Reassign" button. Can we consider adding two functions?

1. Enable "reassign" when instructor attaches a file as comment but has not entered additional text in the textbox.

Use case: students submit their written work in Word. I download their files and add my feedback in Word with "track changes" on, then attach my edited file. The comments are already in the attachment so I don't type additional text in Canvas.

2. With the "reassign" button, either allow instructor to change due & close date for that specific student, or bump the due/close date automatically to X days after current date (allow instructor to set X somewhere).

Use case: Often I grade after the assignment has closed (not accepting submission). Using the reassign button, I'm not sure if the due date would be automatically changed for students; so if the assignment is closed, I have to manually edit the assignment and change the due date for that individual.

I agree with the dangerously close placement to "Submit content" as well, and an undo function will be helpful.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@huic 

You've posted this comment under an idea still in Moderating status requesting resubmit functionality for external tools. If you'd like your ideas to move forward for conversation and possible prioritization, would you please write and share them as two new separate ideas? How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? provides guidance. Thanks!

huic
Community Participant

Thanks Stephanie! I'll do that.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@huic Thank you! The ideas are now open for broader conversation at: 

Reassign button: add change due/closed date

Reassign button: activate with just attachment fee...

suzanne_waldenb
Community Participant

I agree! It's frustrating to have different grading options and opportunities for different types of assignments. If I have a policy of asking students to redo work to improve, it doesn't help if some of those assignments will show up in their to-do list but others won't.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived