[Assignments] Reassign button: add change due/closed date

I have just discovered the "Reassign" button. Can we consider adding another functions?

With the "reassign" button, either allow instructor to change due & close date for that specific student, or bump the due/close date automatically to X days after current date (allow instructor to set X somewhere).

Use case: Often I grade after the assignment has closed (not accepting submission). Using the reassign button, I'm not sure if the due date would be automatically changed for students; so if the assignment is closed, I have to manually edit the assignment and change the due date for that individual.

Added to Theme

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

cdunn4
Community Explorer

If the assignment is closed (lock date passed) can Canvas automatically add x days?  Perhaps 2 or 3 is a good place to start.

jounjianauque62
Community Explorer

So most people do not grade an assignment until after the due date has passed.  I am still trying to figure out this reassign feature (watched the new feature video which was not much help). I'm wondering how the student can actually resubmit this assignment if the assignment has already closed?  What good is this if they cannot resubmit (since the due date has passed) and how is it helpful if I have to go back to the assignment, and reset assignment dates per student?  (If I have this all wrong then please, please, please let me know how this really works!)

Therefore, this function must be given the ability to set a new due date when using the reassign feature, otherwise, I'm not sure how useful it is.  I love the idea, it just doesn't seem like it has been completed or maybe I am missing something...

jkinder_fscj
Community Member

I had this problem today. I told a student he could resubmit once I clicked the re-assign button and he went to the assignment - still locked.

I don't leave assignments open indefinitely, and I don't grade assignments until they are closed. It seems the reassign button just adds the assignment to their to do list but doesn't grant them access; prompting them to resubmit would be misleading if they don't actually have access to the assignment.

If I still have to go in and re-open the assignment, then the reassign button hasn't gained me much other than prompting the student to resubmit.

I agree that adding a few days automatically would work. I would also be fine with a few buttons to allow me to choose how much time to add to the student's window of opportunity to resubmit.

montgomery1
Community Participant

I would also like to see the option to change the due date for the individual student being allowed to "resubmit". It would be nice if this could be done while hitting the resubmit button, rather than having to go to edit assignment and changing the date there. 

nlindell
Community Novice

Currently, the only way to "send back" an assignment for a student to fix or finish is if the assignment has a due date. Some assignments are optional, and including a due date causes them to show up as missing for all students, even though students aren't required to turn them in.

I'd like to be able to reassign assignments with no due dates.

NBenenati
Community Member

While reviewing student submissions and while reading comments through notifications I often need to change an assignment due date or availability date for a students.  Doing so is cumbersome currently.  I have to open the assignment, edit, and input the student.

I wish there was a quick way to do this within speedgrader.  Why?  A student writes me a comment requesting an extension and provides an excellent reason.  Or, I decide a student's work needs some improvement but the availability date is too soon for the student to rework (especially if it's taken me awhile to get to the grading!).  Reassigning isn't a viable solution.

NBenenati
Community Member

I've made a similar request conceptually but I like how this request includes a mechanism.  Since we can already reassign it makes great sense to put an "extend due date" button for a student.  

It would be great if this appeared (along with the grading option) when opening a page through e-mail notifications.

tkaser4
Community Member

Yes, I wish that when you hit the "Reassign Assignment" button, it would let you choose to reassign with the same due date or with an new due date. (It could even be with x number of days.) It would make things much clearer to students.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New