Recurring Activity Option for Calendar

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

36270_photo_calendar.jpgphoto_calendar.jpg

The calendar application is great! When I learned about it, it made it much easier to view all of my upcoming assignments. As part of my assignment for the calendar tutorial I had to add events.

I found it a bit time consuming to enter the same event on multiple days. I think it would be more efficient if there was a "recurring" option when entering events. Also if the calendar was able to link to Google's calendar that would be ideal too!

Given that many of today's smartphones are equipped with Google it would be easy to view our canvas calendar events on our google events all at once.

Just some ideas Thanks!

Comments from Instructure...

"Batch Event Creator" has been released in Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-09-08)

October 2015 Update

Thank you to everyone that provided feedback to assist us in processing this idea.  The consensus is that the "Recurring Events" feature meets a majority of needs (40%-meets my needs, 60%-partially meets my needs, 0%-does not meet my needs).

We are going to mark this feature as complete.  If you are seeking additional advancements to the calendar, please begin by searching the Canvas Feature Ideas for ideas that have already been submitted.  Don't see what you are looking for?  New ideas can be submitted via a new feature idea.

65 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yay!! That is wonderful news Deactivated user! This is a much needed feature and I'm excited to hear we'll get a chance to check-it out in beta soon! Thank you!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@BradMoser ​, is this what you're wanting to do - How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Google Calendar? - or is it something else?

BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks  @kona ​, this is a great link and works for showing Canvas course on my Google Calendar. Yes that is what I want and I would like to be able to display my Google Calendar on my Canvas Calendar too. That way I am tagged team together.  Does Canvas already do this and I missed it somewhere?

Thanks for a quick response.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@BradMoser ​, ah, sorry, missed your desire for two-way communication! No, as far as I know things will go out to your Google calendar, but not back in. Sorry! Maybe a new feature request?

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Woo-hoo!  Great news!

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

There is a feature request that would let us import a calendar feed from google or elsewhere: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Import calendar from ICS file Smiley Happy

ccalderon
Community Champion

Soooooo happy to see this coming soon! This is a frequent request and will be a huge win. Thank you for listening and responding to the community!  Smiley Happy:smileylaugh::smileygrin:

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I just wanted to give everyone here an update that this feature has been deployed to our Beta environment!

KAilsa_Rowan
Community Novice

That's great news, thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yay!! Thank you!!!