Regrade quiz when deleting questions

(63)
In instances where an instructor wants to remove a question from a quiz that students have already taken, the option to regrade a quiz should be available if a question is deleted. Or even add a choice in Regrade Options to drop the question from the quiz and remove its points from the quiz value total.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

90 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for posting your idea ggd356​. It will be open for voting starting tomorrow, Sept 2, so be sure to come back and vote it up!

ggd356
Community Novice
Author

Yes, right now, if students have already taken a quiz and you delete a question (even if you hit "cancel" and not "save" after hitting "delete"), it deletes the question from your view of the quiz, but the question still has points within the gradebook. So if your quiz has 10 questions and you delete one, you can no longer see the question and the denominator is changed in the gradebook, but not the numerator (so a student could get 10/9, for example). Hitting "delete" should present re-grade options so that the question may be removed from the assessment scoring entirely or so that you can decrease the value of the question to zero points.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for voting! 😉

satkinson
Community Novice

I agree, or if you change the point value of a test.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

137210_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

treilly
Community Novice

I made it here too late. I also need this feature!

nonelson
Community Member

Canvas regrading is in drastic need of help and support.  Instructors need the ability to change point values, change answers, add or delete questions, etc. and then re-grade. 

s_emerson
Community Novice

If you like this idea, there is a vote under way on   from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has resurfaced at " style="color: #2989c5;

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has re-surfaced and will be open for vote on December 7, 2016:

cborne
Community Novice

"Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period."

...so you only make fixes for major bugs or feature omissions that inconvenience the Canvas community on a large scale and demand community involvement?

This voting process doesn't promise much hope for improvement of the features I would like to see at all. I haven't seen a single improvement or feature addition for any of the threads I've found here. I think your 3 month period is too short, because not all instructors will happen upon the thread in that window. But if it reaches a certain vote threshold, over the life of the idea, (which it most certainly could more easily than it will if you keep archiving the idea and then re-archiving it after it doesn't reach the 100 votes in the next 3 month window) couldn't you then find it to be a priority feature?

Can I vote on the voting system?

cborne
Community Novice

nope, that one is archived now too. Isn't it great how the archived posts resurface with different names? Are those community members who futilely voted for the archived idea notified that the idea has resurfaced? If not, that's the first thing Canvas should fix

kari
Community Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have submitted an idea close to this idea that is now open for voting!

Kari Johnson

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

adkim
Community Member

If you take a question out of an assessment during item analysis, Canvas should automatically recalculate the grade based on the number of remaining questions.  For example.  Let's say you have a 10 question quiz worth 100 points.  Each question is worth 10 points.  After the quiz, you conduct an item analysis and decide that you need to throw out a question.  Canvas should automatically regrade the quiz making each of the nine remaining questions worth 11.1111 points each.  The overall assignment points should not change, only the value of each question.

james_sanzin
Community Champion

Is this actually open for voting? My screen says 2015.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes,  @james_sanzin ‌, this was one of the ideas that was reopened for voting as part of the reconfiguration of what was formerly "Feature Ideas" and is now https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=b47e65f0-2a0d-4a04-ab97-40013641b...‌. In the process of reopening some ideas, we preserved the original headers. You should be able to vote on it!

mmoore1
Community Contributor

Think about this a little bit in terms of the student.  Should we be regrading the quiz or altering a quiz after created or should there be an adjustment.  I understand that the original quiz had a mistake, but I am concerned that the process we are suggesting here.  Wouldn't a teacher just want to curve the quiz for the teacher mistake?  Not sure about the request.

kari
Community Contributor

Yay!  I am so happy this idea got a second chance and got momentum. 

adkim
Community Member

Hello Matthew, 

This is not a new concept.  It is a capability built into many other learning management systems.  I don't release exam scores until after an item analysis is completed.  If, after item analysis, a question needs to be adjusted or possibly thrown out, then the LMS should allow this to happen.  Not releasing scores until after the item analysis is complete is the key - case in point, what should be done if a question is miskeyed as answer 'A' instead of answer 'B'?  If an item analysis is done, then this error is usually found then.  The exam is rescored with the proper answer to the question.  If I read your scenario correctly, you would award the students that answered the question incorrectly because of the "teacher mistake".  This, in my opinion, is bad because it reinforces the incorrect answer.  A curve is not the answer because it applies to the entire class, and not necessarily the ones that the question is affecting.  

I don't know what topics you teach, but in the health professions (I teach paramedics) writing good discriminating exam questions is not an easy task and is very time consuming - especially when medicine's landscape is rapidly changing.  Item analysis and regrading is an absolute must-have capability for us.  Just because the LMS has the capability, it doesn't mean that you have to use it if it doesn't meet your needs.